Chapter 9 - Skinny

MADISON

Unbelievable... I'm pleasantly surprised, but I will die first before telling Fernando those exact words. He can dance! If he follows the instructions it works well. We have been busy for three days and he can make full dance lines following the steps. Of course, his movements are rough and at times he looks stiff. When the music starts he covers his ears, so I assume he hates my song choice, but at least his feet know where they have to go. If I could only change his attitude towards dancing.

Feeling satisfied that we have done enough for now, we take a break sitting at his dining table. To ensure he doesn't miss a scheduled lesson, I've come to his house. Another thing that has surprised me about him is that he has a cup of coffee ready—with sugar and creamer on the side—when I arrive and when we take a break, he offers me something to eat. Right now he's dishing some fruit salad into two bowls. Under all the rudeness he seems to have manners.

We usually eat in silence and he browses his phone in the meantime, sighing softly. I take the time to admire his house and notice more details of his lifestyle. From the outside you can't figure much that a celebrity lives here. Inside, the place is clean and organized with a modern masculine design; lots of chrome, sharp edges and black leather. The couches have butt marks on them and the kitchen cabinets tiny eroded areas. 

"I still don't get what people find so amusing about dancing," Fernando says while looking at his snack. 

"Dance is an art, and as with all forms of art, everybody has their particular opinion. Some like it, others loathe it and a few live it. It has been around forever in society whether as part of a ritual or just to express emotions," I skewer a piece of sweet pineapple and bite into it.

"Well, the only emotion I feel when I do it is boredom."

"Even if I tell you that you are doing a decent job?" I motion to him with my fork.

He lifts his gaze from the bowl, and his face features soften.

"Really? I'm not making a mess? You must be lying," he frowns. "You are being nice so I don't screw you."

"You are not making a mess, and if you were, I would make you work harder. We have been busy for three days, and you understand what you need to do. Your chasses are well timed. Now we only need to add the quarter turns and the lock step."

"Maddie, you are speaking Chinese to me."

"Don't call me Maddie. I hate when people do it."

Fernando's eyes turn into slits, and I realize I just gave him ammo to piss me.

"How do people call you? Only Madison?" He places his elbows on the kitchen counter, cups his face with his hands and tries to look cute and innocent.

"My parents call me Mae, but my siblings call me by my full name. Cadence and I are a year apart and were always together in school. The teachers and the other kids called me Madison, and so she did."

"Only a year? Your parents didn't waste time then," he chuckles.

"I guess they didn't," I smile remembering my childhood. "There are also advantages in having children so close in age. Are you older than Ale? How old are you anyway? I can't figure it out."

"I'm older than Ale by two years and I turned 32 a month ago. And you are..."

"A woman so you shouldn't be asking for my age."

Fernando laughs loudly and shakes his head. Seeing him like this is different than the usual pissed look. I wish he was like this more often.

"We still have time left before I have to head home, and you have to go to the mall for the meet and greet," I say.