She gulped the rest of her wine and nearly cracked the stem as she placed her glass on the table. Sharon squared her shoulders, looked into Barbara's hopeful face and Casey's suspicious gaze, deciding to tell them the truth.

"That's kind of you," said Sharon. "But-"

"But what," demanded Casey.

"But I'm not sure how he's going to take this. His daddy getting married."

"You mean, you haven't told him," accused Casey, his voice dripping incredulously. "Unbelievable. Probably on purpose too. That's just like you."

"No what's unbelievable is you disappearing for weeks. Leaving me to tell your son that your absences didn't mean you don't love him," snapped Sharon. "It's your damn wedding, you're the one who should be explaining this. Not me."

Casey went red and his whole body tensed up like a rock. Sharon braced herself for his retort but Barbara tugged on his hand and shook her head.

Sharon narrowed her eyes and zoomed in at their entwined hands. Whatever scathing response he had to say was immediately doused by a simple touch and nod. It disappeared, poofed into thin air, Sharon wondered if she'd imagined the animosity seconds before.

Nothing she'd ever done to pacify him after their fights ever worked. Instead they wouldn't talk or see each other for days. Afterwards they'd pick up the relationship like nothing happened. They wouldn't talk about it. They'd just moved on.

But with her hand she had a calm and mellow Casey as if he'd just had the best weed blunt in his entire life.

"You're right," said Barbara, looking apologetic. "We should've talked to CJ first. Maybe both of you together. But we thought it'd be better if we asked you instead..."

There's that damn 'we' again. We, we, we. Oh what was she doing here? If only Barbara was a fat, ugly, hateful bitch. She'd have no problem hitting her where it'll hurt. But what can she do when the woman was being nice. Considerate.

Rather get into another argument and be done with lunch as soon as possible, Sharon simply nodded and tore her gaze from Barbara's implored face. Needing something to do and avoid the love struck, happy couple before, who've entered their own world again, she picked up her glass and drained the rest of the wine.

Her eyes watered at the sight and threatened to spill over when she finally looked at the one thing she wanted to avoid the most. The only thing that can crumble to dust the last piece of her dignity. And it did, glinting innocently in its 6 carat wonder at her. A solitaire and mountain of a diamond on a silver band, most likely platinum, that should be resting on Sharon's finger.

"That's why we thought," continued Barbara. She reached over, grasped and softly squeezed Sharon's hand. Sharon jumped at the touch."That CJ as ring bearer would be great way for us to come together. As a family."

The engagement ring glinted tauntingly from the hand holding Sharon's own. Her eyes burned at the sight of the diamond, the one she always thought she'd wear on her ring finger. She followed Barbara's hand, up to her floral print dress, long wavy hair and up to her hopeful and determined face.

She flexed her fingers out of Barbara's grip when she was saved from giving an answer on the matter by the waiter yet again.

Sharon breathed a sigh of relief and hoped that like Casey, Barbara wasn't big on conversation during a meal as she ordered another glass of Cabernet.

**

Justin had seen Dr. Cooper entered the restaurant and went still as his eyes followed the curves bursting out from under her jacket. And when she removed it, he had an incredible urge to tear off the simple black dress she wore and lick every inch of her body. Worship it like the exemplary piece of art it was. A brickhouse. Hell the song was probably made for her.