thirty nine

Mia

  I figured that the plane ride from the U.S to London would give Harry and I some time to talk things over, but I was sadly mistaken. Harry had to fly over to Los Angeles to do a bit of studio shooting for the movie he was a part of and there was no way he'd be able to get out of his obligations to fly with me to his house in London. So, instead, I had to take a private jet and get to his house alone. 

  "I promise I'll only be a few hours behind you," Harry reassured me as we stood outside of my now 'old' house. "Warren will drive you to my house and make sure you get in safely, and you can get yourself settled." Warren, I had learned, was someone on Harry's security team. 

  "Sounds good." I sighed. Although I was very disappointed that we wouldn't be going to his house together, it was best not to show it. 

  "Are you sure you don't want to fly to L.A with me?" Harry asked for the millionth time. 

  "Every person I've talked to here agrees that it would be best for me to get out of the country before everything gets to the media. L.A is such a highly populated area, it's not a good idea for me to be there." 

  Harry sighed and ran his hands through his now extremely short hair. It was still extremely strange to look at him with short hair. It was as if each time I turned to him I was expecting him to have his long, curly mane again. He was frustrated that I couldn't hop on a plane with him, but I was just trying to do what seemed right in the situation. 

  "I gave Warren my keys, he'll be on the flight with you and he'll get you to my house. I really wish we weren't getting separated like this." 

  "I know," I bit my lip. "But it'll be a few hours, and then we'll catch up when you get to your house. And now this gives me a chance to raid your entire house and see if you have any secrets." 

  "Just don't look in my sock drawer," Harry smirked, standing in front of me and bowing his head down so he could look down at me. I scrunched my nose up at him and stood on my tiptoes, giving him a quick peck on the lips. Things between us would still need to be worked out and smoothed over, but it was hard to resist kissing him. 

  And so, I got into my Uber and waved as he stood on the pavement. His Uber would be arriving shortly after me and taking him to the same exact place, but we were both a bit hesitant about being seen stepping out of the same vehicle together. I didn't see him at all as I went through my customs and right onto my private jet. Warren, who Harry had briefly told me about, sat in a different section of the plane as me to give me my privacy. 

  It was all really, really strange. One minute I felt like a caged animal in my own home, the next minute my life was being completely changed around. I imagined what my family and husband were going through but then decided to push them completely out of my head. They didn't deserved my pity and worry as they faced possibly years in prison for what they had done to me. Instead of spending the whole ride trapped in my own clouded thoughts, I reclined my seat and watched television. The ride from Philadelphia to London was around seven hours, which was plenty of time for me to catch up with Kardashians and eat plenty of airplane junk food. 

  After several hours of the flight, my cellphone, which had been locked up in a drawer in the house I shared with Matthew, dinged in my lap. It was weird to hear the sound of my text ringtone after months and months of not using it.