9

A heavy rainstorm unleashed its fury outside the window as the thick, dark clouds loomed overhead. The violent winds blew widely as the dark clouds roared at the ground below. Each droplet created a chaotic symphony of sound as it collided large glass window echoing through the air.

The man sat restlessly in a stiff black chair at the edge of the bed, leg bouncing against the vinyl floors, his brows furrowed, biting the inside of his cheek. He took shallow breaths, struggling to steady his racing heart as worry etched lines across his forehead. Every passing second felt like an eternity, amplifying his sense of helplessness. The smell of antiseptic lingered in the air, adding to the sterile atmosphere that seemed to suffocate him. His eyes were brimming with worry as his stare never left her gaunt body. But as much as he couldn't look away from her, his heart ached to look at the state.

A clear plastic tube snaked its way from her arm, connected to a blood bag hanging on a metal stand beside her. Fresh cotton bandages sheathed her neck and wrist. Bruises covered her body, and green and purple marks on her arms and hands. The underneaths of her fingernails were dirty from the dried blood and flesh she had clawed from her neck. The giant purple and red bruise on her sunken cheek made his blood boil. There was no doubt in his mind it had been from a heavy hand that had struck her face with such force; if she were human, it would have fractured her face.

Blue snitches stretched along the edge of her hairline and tailed to her eyebrow.

The man's inner wolf was unsettled. Restless, he wanted nothing more than for the women to wake up. His hands nervously clenched and unclenched, betraying the anxiety coursing through his veins. He began fidgeting with his fingers, constantly cracking his knuckles to relieve tension.

'They will pay for what they've done to what is ours.' Growled the vengeful voice of his inner wolf in his head. He couldn't have agreed more.

His ears twitched at any sudden movement from the young blonde, a small snore came from her quiet figure as she began to stir in the hospital bed, breaking the rhythmic pattern of the heart monitor's beeping.

A gentle knock came from the other side of the door. "Excuse me." Called out a small voice. The door opened slightly, and a nurse entered the room. Her brown hair was secured in a tight neat bun. In her dainty hands was a water pitcher.

"Alpha," She acknowledged the anxious man. "Has she woken up yet?" She asked with a small smile. She could easily sense his worry.

The man shifted slightly in the chair, shaking his head, his eyes never leaving the young woman's body.

"Not yet." He answered bluntly.

The nurse nodded, "she'll be up soon. Peaceful rest is just what she needs. Moon Goddess only knows what she has been through." She reassured.

Walking over to the young she-wolf, she placed the water pitcher on the bedside table next to the bed. "I'm going to leave this water here; she will be thirsty when she wakes up."

She then took a look at the nearly empty blood bag. Its last bit of blood trickled down through the clear soft tube, disappearing into her veins.

"She's doing great; the blood transfusion helped compensate for all the blood she lost," The nurse explained, attempting to make the nervous man more comfortable. She removed the now-empty blood bag and detached the needle from the woman, who was beginning to stir in her sleep.

"Why isn't she healing?"He stared at the woman, searching for answers in her frail form. His voice carried a mixture of desperation and disbelief as if grappling with an incomprehensible reality. His words hung in the air, heavy with a sense of helplessness. Each passing moment seemed to deepen his bewilderment as he struggled to understand why the healing process had stalled. Confusion mingled with his worry, creating a swirl of emotions that threatened to overwhelm him. At that moment, he felt a profound ache, both for the woman lying before him and for his own inability to ease her suffering.