Goldie & the Bear - 3

The diner was a bustle of activity

The diner was a bustle of activity. Besides the Preservation Society, it was also the beginning of the month when most of the over 65 crowd got their social security deposits and therefore would decide to treat themselves to a good meal at the RedWood Diner.

Hunter frowned at the fast and furious pace that the kitchen was moving. It was great they were moving fast but that also left room for mistakes.

"Move fast but with purpose people... we don't want meals returned. If a meal is returned it means new meals need to be made which puts us behind in time and money. Got it!"

"Yes, Chef!" the worker bees said in unison. Red just grinned and shook her head.

"I know. I know. You said it. Be careful what you wish for," Hunter said, wondering if they really could handle such a heavy morning.

She handed him a carton of eggs... and smiled. "You just might get it," she chuckled.

"Hey, it's how I got you," Hunter teased.

"You did a whole lot more than just wished," Red reminded him.

"But I wished all the same. I've never been afraid of a little hard work to get what I want," he reminded her.

"That's good. Now get back to work," she said pointing back to the stove with the knife in her hand.

Hunter looked at the cook on his left. "You heard the lady and I've learned never argue with an armed woman."

Red laughed in earnest this time. 

Out in the diner, Goldie was pulled in every direction. She still had to manage the floor and handle any problems, as well as wait on the party of 20 that just came walking through the door.

Clay came rushing up to her. "Great news. Our speaker texted Bailey and he made it after all. So, I guess we are ready to order whenever you are."

"Great!" Goldie said with what she hoped was the appropriate enthusiasm.

"Let's start with drinks, shall we? Okay, sir what would you like to drink?"

Goldie turned and stared into Grumpy Bear's face. He grinned at her and said, "Coffee, Black...No sugar."

Whoa, when he smiled it completely transformed his face and Goldie's stomach felt the flutters. Damn, I'm attracted to him...well that's inconvenient.

Goldie who was all smiles a second ago suddenly frowned. I can get through this. 

Goldie turned up the charm and smiled again. "Not a problem", and quickly moved on to the next person, willing herself not to look back to see if he was following her movements. One it made her nervous just to think of it and two she didn't want to give him the satisfaction of letting him know he gets to her.

So, fate it seemed threw her in his path again. She's a waitress at the diner. It would explain the people skills and sharp wit. Although it still made him a bit grouchy to know she didn't exactly seem happy to see him...although why would she?