The Astronaut

• Dedicated to Neelangi Mishra

Something Real – Koobra ft Joanna
Song requested by Neelangi Mishra

 I still couldn’t believe it.

It had been weeks, and yet I was still in awe of how far I had come. After all the years of studying, of physical and mental work that had me turning caffeine into its own food group, and pushing through in what was still deemed as a ‘man’s job’ even though women had come along very far in the last few centuries. I was finally in my first special mission, and damn proud of it.

Commander Kelly “The Ice Queen” Reynolds, part time hard ass and full time b*tch, was apparently my pseudo, according to the male astronauts when they thought I couldn’t hear them. I didn’t care. I never cared for the girly gossip that seemed to follow me around. I worked hard for what I wanted and I earned every bit of it. I had been to outer space a few times before but what made this mission special was because we were travelling out to investigate an unstable star.

Space travel had come a long way since the 21st century. Back then it would have taken over thirty years to reach the end of the solar system, now we were able to travel to other galaxies in a matter of weeks rather than years.  Our mission was to travel to the Morinii Star, a star that was quickly turning unstable.

“Ten, nine, eight, seven, six...”

“You ready boys!” I called out, adrenaline pumping wildly through my body. This was one of my favourite parts of any mission –the take off.

“Hell yeah!” The chorus of deep shouts called back and I grinned, sitting firmly in my seat after making sure everything was all good and ready.

“Three... two... one...”

“Blast off” I whispered at the same time.

Fire shot out beneath us and we blasted off. I was forced back against my seat and instead of being buckled to it, it felt as though I was squashed back into the chair. Behind us, I could imagine the ground growing farther away while the people shrunk into the size of fleas. We were taking off for the clouds and rushing straight through them towards the stars. Nothing could stop us!

This was what I loved. Leaving behind everything to reach for higher and bigger things where no one, or few, had ever been to. We flew higher and higher and before we knew it, we were out of this world – literally. One moment I felt as though I had a family of elephants sitting on me, the next I was weightless.

Hello space.

We spent the next few hours doing a routine circuit around Earth before we were shooting at hyper speed through the empty space. Flying through space was strange and beautiful. Everything was pitch black, yet the blanket of emptiness was randomly filled with bright, swirling balls of gas that were more beautiful than anyone could imagine. However, flying at hyper speed made them look less like balls of gas and instead they streaked the windows like long splashes of paint.

“How much longer until we reach the Dazaryl Nebula?” I asked out loud after flying for a week at hyper speed.

Brandon pressed a few buttons and read the screen before replying. “Five more hours and then we will be at the edge. We’ll need to refuel there and then not too long until we reach the Morinii Star”

“Good. Looks like smooth sailing from here”

I checked up on the other men of my crew and nodded with a smile when everything was on point and we were even ahead of schedule. “So how about a drink, Commander?” I smiled and turned to see Brandon standing up and leaning against the wall with a smirk of his own. “Even Ice Queens need to thaw out a little”