October 7th

So my judo teacher thinks I’m almost ready for the next level. He said normally he’d be prepping me for it but he doesn’t want to give it to me until I’m eighteen. Which is only about six months away so I’m not really concerned. He has been teaching me some of the more advanced techniques, mostly because I’ve mastered almost all of the ones for my dan. He thinks in a year I could be his teaching assistant if I want and with experience, I could open my own dojo. It’s an interesting idea but I’m not sure that’s what I want to do.

            The first bell after lunch had just rung when Leah saw Kevin stiffen, his pupils dilating into slits as his head snapped so he was staring slightly down and at the lockers. She winced and opened her locker again, exchanging her backpack for her vambraces. “How many and where?” she asked, her fingers making quick work of the laces.

            “There is one pair. They are not the usual. Their mage’s aura is strong and strange. I believe they are on the first floor, near our English room,” he said

            She considered that, dragging out the two big bottles of water she now kept there and dumping them into her backpack. She hadn’t trusted Kevin to remember to bring his own though looking at the bulging bag he put on, she thought he might have actually listened to her. “Good. That’s on the other side of the school. We were lucky last time but I can’t trust that we’ll be just as lucky, especially not if they’re on the first floor. That gives us about fifteen minutes. I think that’s how long it ended up being with average time and with them waiting for SWAT,” she replied, grabbing his hand and towing him with her down the stairs.

            Kevin froze, hissing. “It is not safe.”

            “Then stay here. I’ll be back in a minute. I’m just going to make sure no one gets caught in the crossfire,” she replied, releasing him. She turned her attention to the office door, the corner just visible from where she stood on the staircase. She took the remaining stairs three at a time, landing with an explosive thud at the bottom.

            She opened the door, not bothering to hide her slightly dishevelled appearance and wide eyes. The secretary looked up from her computer, her eyes creased with concern under white brows as she took in Leah. “Do you need to phone home?”

            Leah took a deep breath, inwardly thinking that all of the stupid practicing was going to finally come in handy. “Mrs. Stretton,” she whispered, glancing around like she expected something to pop out from behind her. “I think you need to call the police.”

            Mrs. Stretton’s eyes widened, one hand flying to her considerable chest. “What’s happened?”

            She leaned in close, still looking around as if for an attack. “I saw two people in here, two people I didn’t know, and one of them had what looked like a gun.”

            The older woman gasped, the colour draining rapidly from her face. “Are you sure?”

            Leah nodded, biting her lip and trying to look terrified. “I lost sight of them just after the bell rang but I think they’re still here. Please, will you call the cops?”

            “I’m going to do more than that! I’m going to have the principal initiate a lockdown. You stay right here. You’ll be safe,” she said, rising, hands fluttering at her sides.

            She shook her head. “I have to find Kevin. He’s never been on one of these drills and I think he followed me out of class. I’ve got to get him to go somewhere safe,” she said, and before Mrs. Stretton could stop her, she bolted out of the door.