Chapter 1: "A Icy Meeting"

by Mallory Quinn, Lady Gato, and Candylyna

by Mallory Quinn

It was the month of November and it was already very cold and snowing abundantly that year. A young man named Terrence Grandchester was living in his father's castle, Richard Grandchester, the Duke of Grandchester. He had just finished school in one of the best schools in London, the Royal College of Saint Paul, with the best mark of the school. His life was all set; he was promised for years to this very pretty young lady named Elizabeth Barrington. Elizabeth was a lovely girl, charming, funny, but Terrence didn't feel anything special for her; it was just normal friendship. He was in his bedroom and his father was waiting for him in the piano living room.

"I have to officially ask for Elizabeth's hand in marriage. But I don't have any romantic feelings towards her... Well maybe it's for the best. My father loved my mother, but he still had to leave her because of the stupid society rules...since I'm not in love with Elizabeth, I shouldn't have any problems pretending like my father is pretending with his wife..." he thought.

Terrence was wearing a nice suit. It was black with immaculate white shirt on. He always kept his hair long, despite his father's insistence for them to have a hair cur. He liked his hair long, or he just liked to be a little different from the other boys. He had been a difficult child in school and only his grades made it up to his father. No matter how much Terrence was acting out in school to get his attention, he knew that his son would never fail in class he would never want to be called a failure... So he kept giving money to the nuns as Saint Paul, so they would keep Terrence, and the nuns kept him in their school, despite his bad behaviour.

Terrence arrived in front of the piano living room. Elizabeth was sitting on the Louis XIV style couch. His father saw him and he smiled.

- Terrence, said his father, Elizabeth and her parents are here with her...

Terrence greeted the Barringtons and he went to stand next to his father. His stepmother wasn't in the room.

- And Elizabeth is waiting for you to ask her a question

Terrence looked at Elizabeth. She was very pretty, even beautiful, but he looked at her and it felt all wrong. He looked at his father whose eyes were telling him to start talking. Terrence took a deep breath and said:

- Elizabeth, it seems that our families thing that a union between us would be a good and profitable thing..., said Terry

Elizabeth was looking at him, like she was waiting for something.

- Elizabeth? Said her father, aren't you going to answer him?

- I didn't hear a question, said Elizabeth

That was the most unromantic proposal she had ever heard! Terrence had to restrain himself not to laugh.

- Just say "yes" Lizzie, said her father

Elizabeth was sulking, but Terrence Grandchester was not only handsome but a very very good catch. It was not the time to be difficult.

- Yes, Terrence, I will be your wife...

Terrence looked at her, he didn't ask her to be his wife and she was saying yes anyway!

"This is nonsense! He thought, are they that desperate for me to marry their daughter?"

Terrence smiled and remained silent. The duke made a sign to the butler and he approached them carrying a tray with flutes of champagne glasses. Everybody took a glass of champagne.