Chapter 24

"Ah, Arra. How lovely to see you again."

The Witch King appears out of nowhere, standing much too close for comfort. I refuse to make more space by stepping back though. I don't want to appear intimidated by him at all.

His height seems to have increased from the last time I saw him. When he first came to me in the nightmare he was as tall as a man, but now he seems to tower over me so much that I have to tilt my head up at an uncomfortable angle to meet his face.

His features, as always, are hidden behind a black, metal mask and the black hood of his cloak.  Being unable to see any potential facial expression is both unnerving and at the same time, annoying. I will be unable to see any emotions cross his face, making it all the more difficult to drive a bargain that will get everyone out of here safely.

"Let my father go, I'm not in the mood for games." I say boredly, pleased with the neutralness of my tone.

"But of course my dear," he replies, sickly sweet, "follow me; I will take you to him."

I shiver slightly at his words, but it's barely noticeable.  The Witch King turns on his heels, his cloak fanning out slightly, and begins to walk down a dimly-lit hallway.  Realizing he isn't going to look back to make sure I follow, I hurry after him, the slapping of my shoes on the stone floor ricocheting off the halls and echoing loudly.  Seron and Legolas follow close behind, easily keeping pace.

I am convinced the Witch King is leading us in circles, trying to confuse us.  We must go back and forth across the ancient castles half a dozen times, and just when I'm becoming positive we're going to continue walking until the ends of the earth, we come to an iron door.  It catches my eye even before we stop in front of it because although it's heavy and most definitely built to be practical, it also is elegant and artistic in the sweeping vines of metal, swirled throughout the door.

The Witch King pulls the door open with ease, despite the fact that it looks as though it weighs much more than a horse.

The ornate, iron door had closed off yet another hallway, this one even more narrow than the first, with grime and dirt planstering the cobblestone floors and walls. I pay close attention to where I step, not wanting to slip on anything on the floor.  There are torches in this hallway, unlike the previous, and 

I turn around suddenly, and fear grips at my heart when I see that neither Legolas nor Seron are behind me any longer.  I feel small and vulnerable without them there to back me up, but I try not to show as I whip back around to face the Witch King.

"What have you done to them?" I demand, glaring.

"For someone in your dire situation, you should watch your tongue." the Witch King says sharply.

I bite back a retort, but continue to glare.  Oh, if only looks could kill, the Witch King would be dead a thousand times over.

"And to answer your question, they are both fine. For now. Whether or not they stay that way is entirely up to you."

I gasp slightly, causing the Witch King to make some strange sound that seems to be between an maniacal laugh and terrifying screech.  I guess he's laughing at my misfortune.

"Will you let my friends and family all go, and leave them alone?  Swear to me that no harm will come to them." I say demandingly again.

"Of course my dear.  That was always our bargain." the Witch King's voice sounds triumphant, filled with confidence that his plan to pull me to his side will work.

I realize with despair that there is no way out of this for me, but my heart knew it all along. I was never meant to make it back, but the thought of everyone I love being safe makes me oddly okay with it.  I resignedly take two steps towards the Witch King.  

"Very well." I whisper, wanting to take the words back as soon as I say them aloud, but knowing I can't.

"Welcome, my dear, to hell."