11: Wicked Rebirth

"Lucy, you're better than this. You're twenty-seven! Why are you still hanging around that, that loser?" My father asked me, his arms were folded. "This is the third time I had to pay the cops to leave your boyfriend alone. Shaun is not a good guy for you, you're better than this."

I shook my head. I didn't want to listen to him. "Dad, I have my own home, I have my own car, I have my own life! Let me live it how I want to."

He laughed. "Wow, big talk for a girl who doesn't know what she is getting herself into."

"We've been together for three years, why is this a problem now?"

"Because he wasn't supposed to be a serious boyfriend for you, Lucy!" My father yelled. "You grew up, he didn't! What does he do for a living? Huh? He's a busboy at a fancy restaurant. You are so much better than he is!"

"He's trying!" I yelled back. I was angry. "He isn't sure what he wants to do yet, dad, leave him be!"

"Yeah, I know what he wants to be, he wants to be a dirty criminal, but no daughter of mine is going to be with a scumbag like him!"

I was shaking now. I was livid. "We're moving to Gotham City!"

After I roared this, my mother came running into the room, she looked from my father, then to me. She looked heartbroken. "Your father doesn't mean to push you away, please don't—"

"No!" I shouted. "We waited to tell you because of how you both act. But I'm with him, and I love him! We're moving, and we're going to start a family, and you're never going to see your grandchildren!"

My father took a step towards me. He looked like he wanted to hit me. "If you step out that door, you are no longer our daughter."

I let out a hard laugh, I spun around and dramatically swung the door open, slamming it shut behind me. I didn't even look back, I got into my car, and drove off. I was ready to pack my things, and head out to Gotham City with Shaun. Tonight.

--

I had to sell the car once we got to Gotham. Shaun didn't want to find a job, he depended on my nursing career for money. Our money would hold us over until I got that job at Gotham General Hospital. But of course, that never happened, and I was dirt poor by the time I got out of jail.

That man had left me high and dry. I should've listened to my parents; I should've known how rotten he was. He ruined my life. He put me in this shitty situation.

I was ready to end his life.

A switch flipped inside of me, I became Miss Morphine as the craving for power hit me, I growled, thinking of how many times Shaun had hurt me, how many times he ruined my life. Including now. It was either him, or me, and I'd be damned if I let him live over me. If anyone was more deserving of life, it'd be me.

I'd be the last one standing.

I turned to Will and started to laugh. Laugh. I was laughing so hard I had to stop to clutch my stomach. "Oh, man, he's gonna get it," I spoke, I grabbed all of the morphine pills I could find and churned them into powder. I put them in a vial. There was over 300 MG of morphine in here, enough to kill a man. Will followed me to Shaun's room, but before Will could enter the room, I closed the door. I locked it behind me, and stared at Shaun.

I grinned, and he looked at me in confusion. "Lucy?" he questioned, then grinned. "Pleasure seeing you here. Near my bed."

I grabbed him by the throat and pushed him against the wall. "You are done ruining my life," I seethed, I took the vial and opened it, I poured it in his mouth and held his mouth closed. I waited until I was sure he swallowed it all, as I held him against the wall. I knocked him out by hitting him in the back of the neck, and lay him on his back on the floor.

I felt a surge of pride, a surge of freedom, a surge of dominance as Lucy, little, scared Lucy became Miss Morphine, and Miss Morphine was a cold, cruel killer.

I was free from his grasp, and I didn't have to fear him any longer.

A weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

I grinned, and left the room. "How fitting," I spoke to Will coolly. "He will be dead soon."

Will examined me for a moment. "Oh, how The Joker's changed you," he spoke, his expression was unreadable.

"I know," I spoke. "I know." I walked to Joker's office and just barged in. I didn't care to knock. He looked up as I entered. "I killed him."

He stared at me for a few minutes, refraining from blinking. He looked like a statue. I waited patiently for his response. I walked inside of the office, and locked the door behind me. I leaned against it, waiting.

"And how do you feel?" he finally questioned. He blinked. He shifted in his seat.

I grinned. "I feel reborn," I sighed dreamily. "I feel. . . Like a new girl," my eyes fixated on him. "And I want to be your girl."

He grinned at this. "I don't tie myself down to one girl, I have a collection of. . . Interesting, sexy women. And some more."

"Oh, but I guarantee none of them got the job done like I did," I spoke, my eyes staring into his, and by the look on his face, I could tell I was correct. "I can tell none of them got you going like I did."

He grinned. "Okay, so you know how to have sex, why would I want you when I can have you, and every other girl I have now? And what if I get tired of you, and decide to kill you?"

I grinned back, mirroring him. "I'll leave you to answer that. . . ." I approached him, hands on the desk, leaning forward so our lips were centimeters apart. My eyes were half lidded with lust. He moved forward for the kiss, but I pulled back immediately, the grin stretching back on my face. "I know you'll see why." I turned my back on him, walked to the door, and unlocked it, but I didn't open it just yet. "I am not just a shy, timid girl anymore, Joker," I spoke. "You created me, molded me into a lady of power, and this lady knows now what she wants, time for you to figure out what you want, as well. Your move." I opened the door and closed it behind me, feeling my heart beat rapidly. I was going to win him over, I knew it.