Chapter 18

+++

"Oh, Tallulah there you are!" Nan pulls me into a hug.

"Ello, Nan," I smile, hugging her back.

She pulls away from me and scans my face. Her smile falls to a frown.

"What, what's wrong?" I ask, concerned.

"You look so twee." She looks my body up and down. "Have you been eating?"

"Well, if I'm being honest, my appetite just hasn't been the same lately."

"Have you been sick recently?"

"No," I chuckle, lightly. "You're still the same 'ole Nan, so worried about me."

"I'm retired, it's the only job I have."

I'm chuffed to be back in Donny after not returning for almost two years. Nan always insisted I didn't come up to the nursing home and after being raised by her, I learned there's no sense in arguing with the woman. Since I am back for the wedding, I went against her word and came.

We spent the afternoon sitting on her sofa in her small little room, chatting about my schooling, of course.

"Do you have a special someone?" She asks.

"No, Nan. I told you I don't have time for relationships."

Which really means, I still look for him
in everyone I meet and that's probably the reason I can't move on.

"Have you talked to, you know, recently?" She asks, hesitantly.

I immediately know who she is talking about and I feel my stomach churn.

"No, not recently." I shrug, acting casual.

I can tell the smile she gives me is forced, trying to look casual as well.

"He's seeing someone, isn't he?" I ask in a small voice.

"Oh, I don't know. He's a very busy lad!" Her eyes don't meet mine. "All I know, is that I'm so proud of how well you're doing in school." She takes my hands and smiles at me.

I smile back and tell her thank you.

Little does she know, the other amount of my time is spent sleeping around and partying, like a stereotypical Uni kid.

+++

I park my rental car in front of a small lovely boutique.

"I hope this is the one." I mutter, turning off my engine, and climbing out.

I am supposed to meet Johanna and the girls at a boutique. I am growing extremely anxious.

Is he going to be here? What would I do if he is? How would I act?

I hate knowing that when we meet again we'll act different, like we were never close. How he won't turn to me to say something smart, how I won't tease him about the things I love most, how when I look over at him, he'll act like I'm not looking. I hate confronting the fact we'll be strangers.