"I Don't Want To Play The Long Game"

Maya

I'm sitting on the couch at the Matthews with Riley, Lucas, Farkle, Smackle, and Zay. We're eating a snack and the door opens. "Hey guys! Thought I'd come on off time." I laugh. "Josh you live here." He nods. "Right Maya I'm just here late at night when no ones awake." I know that because I am too. "So what's the gang's plan today. Movie? Mini golf?" We all look at each other. "Smackle and I are leaving for mathletes training." My eyes go wide. "You don't need training."

They laugh. "We're going to train the other mathletes. Duh Maya." I laugh.

"And Riley and I are going on a date tonight." I open my mouth to speak. "I got baseball so it's just you Maya." Zay interrupted me.

"Josh you don't have plans do you?" He looks down at me. "Nope Maya I do not. Let's go to the carnival." Farkle and Smackle are out the door and Riley and Lucas are in her room. Zay is grabbing his bat bag and leaving behind the geniuses.

"So, we doing that carnival?" I nod and grab my phone. I jump on his back and point at the door.

"Away Josh!" He chuckles and walks out the door.

We get to the door of the lobby and drops me to my feet. He grabs my hand. His hands are cold but soft. "Come on we gotta catch a cab." He lets go of my hand to hail a taxi.

The minute were in the taxi we start a conversation. "How do you think this Riley and Lucas thing will work out?" He looks at me with a sad look in his brown eyes. "Why...do you like him all of a sudden?" He sounds jealous. "No I just don't want Riley to be heart broken. Josh I won't ever stop liking you." He smiles at his feet. "Josh...I don't want to play the long game." We get out of the cab.

"Maya I don't either." He sighs. "I just don't understand how I feel these days. There are college girls that are always trying to grab my attention and it's hard." I feel tears stinging my eyes. I let go of his bow warm hand.

"You said you couldn't imagine a world without me Josh." He stops walking and stares into my eyes. "I jut need time to set my mind in place Maya." I walk off. I start a run towards the food booths. I hear his footsteps behind mine but it makes me run faster. I run down and make a u-turn where not many people take path. I hide behind a vendor and watch Josh run the wrong way. I sit against the brick wall nearby and cry.

About twenty minutes later I feel a tap on my shoulder. "Josh go away I'll take the subway home." I listen to him slide down the wall next to me. "Maya I'm sorry. I'm sorry I hurt you. I understand if you don't want to talk to me."

He gets up and starts to walk away. I quickly stand up and run to him. I turn him around and hug him like I never have.

"It's fine if you want your time. I'll wait Josh. For you."

"Maya seeing you wait is heartbreaking."

"Are you saying you won't make me wait."

"It'll definitely be a shorter wait. I'm sorry for all the pain I've ever caused you." He hugs me tight.

"You can make it up to me by taking me on a few carnival rides." I pull away from his hug and look at him. He takes his beanie off his head and puts it on mine.

"Absolutely." We walk off towards the rides.

"Josh carry me up I'm exhausted." He picks me up and carries me to the couch. "Scoot over Maya I have to sleep here too."

This is making me nervous. Keep cool Maya. It's not like I have the energy to move any way. He lies beside me. He wraps his arm around me and kisses my temple.

"Goodnight Maya."

"Goodnight Josh."

My eyes drift as his breathing calms me like a lullaby.