Chapter 15: Confusion!

Recap:

“I could hit him once more you know!” he said winking. I laughed and wished that we could have met under difference circumstances and could have had something for real. Suddenly Jude’s phone rang breaking the awkward silence that had settled.

“Hello?”

I watched as he spoke and saw his whole body tense.

“Don’t panic we are on our way!”

Natasha’s P.O.V:

I didn’t know what was happening but whatever was making Jude panic was by default panicking me. I looked up at him in confusion.

“That was Gary, his sister has gone in labor and her husband Kyle isn’t here. He is panicking.”

I nodded in understanding and we both hurriedly got into his car and put our seat belts. Jude drove like a maniac and I had to clamp my lips together so that I didn’t scream. Soon we were pulling into Gary’s driveway hurriedly. We both ran up the driveway into his house, his front door had been left open. The sight I saw there made my jaw drop to the floor.

Jude’s P.O.V:
I could not believe my eyes. Gary sat there on the floor of his living room looking flustered while his sister sat on the couch with her feet on a foot rest. I was confused. To me it looked like Gary was in labor! His sister was sitting as cool as cucumber sipping cold water. I looked at Natasha and she looked equally shocked.

“Dude! I thought you said she is in labor!”

“Yeah, welcome to the club, I thought so too”, said Gary shooting his sister a dirty look.

“What? How is it my fault that I went into false labor?”

Natasha bursted out laughing. “Oh thank God. We were so worried!” I joined Natasha in laughing and sat next to Gary on the floor. Gary’s sister joined us too.

“You guys aren’t going anywhere”, said Gary. “You have to stay over here tonight I may need you.” He looked at me pleadingly and I looked at Natasha who shrugged and agreed.
“Yay” whooped Gary, “I am going to catch a nap see you guys in a while.”

“You will do no such thing” said Ellen, “there’s a reason why women have false labor. Its like a rehearsal for when they actually have a labor and you my brother have failed miserably.”

“Its not my fault Ellie! You and Kyle had rehearsed for it not me!”

“Exactly so now we all are going to rehearse.” Ellen said clapping her hands. I looked at her in disbelief. She didn’t look like she had just had a false labor. I mean even though it was false wasn’t it supposed to be very painful? I was all for Gary’s idea for a nap.

“She’s right you know.” Said Natasha “We need to organize ourselves in case it happens for real.” I looked at her with my eyebrows raised and she returned the look.

“Ok Ellen where is your room?”

Ellen pointed at a door. Natasha motioned for all of us to follow her. Gary and I sighed and gave in to these demanding women. We followed Natasha. She went inside the room and asked Ellen on what side of the bed she slept.

“Ok Ellen sleeps on the side near the door. That’s good now lets remove all the furniture that may obstruct her moving out in a hurry.”

All of us looked at Natasha impressed.

“What?” she asked defensively “Its common sense!”

Ellen sat down on her bed while Gary and I piled all the furniture in a far corner of the room while Natasha ordered us around not touching anything herself. By the end of it we were panting and our arms ached. No matter which part of the room the obstruction was Natasha didn’t want to take any chances and had removed everything that could be a ‘possible’ obstruction. If Ellen slept on the side which was near the door why would she trip on something on the other side of the bed is something I couldn’t understand. I was longing to just lie down and rest. When Natasha started talking again.

“Ellen where’s your emergency bag?”

“I haven’t packed it yet. The due date is at least a week away I didn’t realize I might need it so soon.”

Natasha turned to look at Gary with disbelief. “Seriously? You haven’t packed an emergency bag for her yet?” Apparently there was some silent agreement that nobody would blame the pregnant lady. I jumped to my buddy’s defense, “Hey you heard Ellie! She wasn’t expecting to go into labor herself!”

“Yes but if Kyle was here he would’ve packed my bag like a week ago?”

Ok I know the hormones make you weird when you are pregnant but Ellie was being downright mean or she was enjoying Gary’s discomfort way too much.

Gary sighed and went to get a small travel bag. Natasha helped Ellen pack a bag meanwhile Gary and I went to his kitchen to grab a cold glass of water. As soon as we were out of the room Gary groaned.

“Man! I love my sister but I wish Kyle was here. I feel so nervous what if I goof up?”

I didn’t know what to say to him so I said something really sappy, “You’ve got me dude and Natasha!”

“Yeah well Natasha she’s something isn’t she? Like a force of nature.” Suddenly Gary laughing really hard. I looked at him in concern thinking that finally he was beginning to crack under pressure.

“Jude! I feel so bad for you!”

“Huh? Gary are you ok? Where do I come into the picture?”

“Hahahahhhahahahhaha imagine what’s going to happen to you when Natasha gets pregnant.” I choked on the water I was drinking. Ok the thought was terrifying and I did not want to think of it. Then with a pang I realized that I wouldn’t be around when Natasha had her baby with well whoever she had it with. I didn’t like the feeling so I quickly changed the topic and asked “When is Kyle coming back?”

“He’s at a convention in Japan should be back in two days. He was whining over missing out on the baby being born but relaxed when he was informed it was a false labor.”

We had barely gulped a glass of water when Natasha called us again. We went to the room and saw both the girls whispering excitedly.

“Ok guys no we are going to pretend that Ellie is in labor, for real this time and if we have to get her into the hospital how do we do it calmly.” By now Gary and I had given up on arguing with the girls.

“SO” said Natasha, “I am going to keep the emergency bag on the table by the front door. Gary your car keys next to it. All our footwear will be right there. Gary and Jude you need to go upstairs to Gary’s bedroom and pretend to sleep. I will come out and yell that Ellen is in labor. You guys have to come rushing down and then well just carry on from there.” Gary and I stared at each other. Did we really need to rehearse this? I mean come on! Gary and I trudged upstairs and lay down on his bed. If I could only close my eyes for a minute or two. All the excitement from punching Blake and shifting all the furniture had made me really tired. But we dared not go to sleep. We waited for Natasha to call us both of us struggling to keep our eyes open. We lay there for about thirty minutes and Natasha was yet to call us.

“Dude” whispered Gary, “why aren’t they calling us?”

“I don’t know!” I whispered back.

We both got out and went down to see what was wrong. To our dismay we saw both the girls eating food.

“Hey! What happened to the rehearsal?” Gary yelled.

Natasha smacked a hand to her forehead “Damn! I completely forgot. Ellen felt hungry so we decided to eat its almost lunch time.” I was about to tell both the girls off, they were acting stupid when Gary stopped me with a look. We went to the kitchen to grab food for ourselves when Gary said, “Don’t say anything dude. It’s us against them and they will win!” I shook my head, I was beginning to get a headache. After we all ate Gary and I both went upstairs but not before Gary warned Ellen that he was near breaking point. We went and sat down on the bed and heard Natasha yelling a little dramatically,

“Gary! Jude! Ellen is in labor!” Both of us ran down the stairs not really watching where we went Gary’s leg got entangled with mine and both of us tripped from the fifth stair to the landing. We both groaned in pain. I looked up to see Natasha standing with her hands on her waist tsking at us.

“Rule number one: no running ok? People get hurt.” I got up and muttered “Could’ve warned us before.” She looked at me like I was stupid, like I was supposed to know these things. How was I supposed to know? I haven’t taken any women in labor to the hospital ever in my life. Suddenly we heard Ellen yell, “Hullo! I am in labor here!” Gary ran to the door while I picked up Ellen’s travel bag and Natasha rushed to Ellen’s side. Gary grabbed his car keys and Natasha, Ellen and I followed him. We went outside to find Gary staring at the garage.

“And ta-da my water broke!” cried Ellen. Natasha went ahead to reassure her, “Relax Ellen this is why we are having a rehearsal.” She turned to me and said, “Jude remove your car so that Gary can put his car behind yours.” I went ahead to do as she asked. Finally after going through the rehearsal a million times the girls let us go. We had an early dinner and all went to bed early. It was decided that Natasha would sleep with Ellen and I would bunk with Gary. Both of us were very tired and fell asleep immediately.

At 3.00 a.m:

I was sleeping soundly when I heard Natasha yell, “Jude! She’s in labor for real this time!” I woke up with a start and shook Gary. He refused to budge mumbling in his sleep. “Let her have the baby at home!” he mumbled sleepily. Finally I kicked him off the bed and he woke up. We both went downstairs Gary apparently forgot he wasn’t supposed to run and he tripped and took me along with him. Natasha came out with Ellen glaring at us. Gary and I ran outside backed out the car and put our seat belts on and Gary pressed on the gas. “Don’t worry Ellie I will get you there in time.” Getting no response we both turned around and realized we had left the girls in the house. Gary took a sharp turn and we rushed up to the house. Natasha stood there with Ellen and her emergency bag. We put Ellen in and Gary started driving again, while Natasha went on ranting about how useless we were and how all the rehearsal had been wasted on us. We didn’t listen really because Natasha’s ranting was punctuated by Ellen screaming ever so often. The drive to the hospital had been the longest 30 minutes of my life and I never want to be in that position ever again!

We pulled into the Hospital’s emergency section and opened the doors; two male nurses rushed forward and placed Ellen on a gurney. They rushed her inside and Natasha and I followed them while Gary parked the car. We walked up to Ellen’s doctor as Gary caught up with us. “Hi I am Dr. Rosenthall. Don’t worry I will take it from here.”

“Is my sister going to be alright?” asked an emotional Gary.

“Don’t worry! I have delivered a lot of babies!”

“Yeah! But it’s her first!” said Gary his voice a little high pitched. I stepped forward and place a hand on Gary’s shoulder while the doctor rushed after Ellen. We could still hear her screaming. I am pretty sure she woke up the whole hospital with her screams. Natasha returned with two cups of coffee which Gary and I accepted gratefully. We waited outside the room taking turns to pace the hallway. After 7 hours of wait the doctor came out to finally announce Ellen had given birth to a baby girl.  Gary went in first and came out carrying the baby. She was so cute! Natasha rushed forward to hold her. She handled the baby like a pro. I was too scared to take her in my hands. We spent a lot of time cooing over the baby when we heard Ellen yell at us all to come in.

“Congratulations!” Natasha and I said together. Ellen smiled tiredly, she looked like she had been through a wringer.

“Gary did you manage to get in touch with Kyle?”

“Yep. He should be here soon!”

“Oh thank God!”

Ellen looked over at how Natasha was talking to her infant daughter and smiled. She motioned me to come closer to her. I bent down to hear what she had to say, she barely had ant energy. “She will make a great mother. You are one lucky man.”  I smiled feeling warm all over. I glanced at Natasha who didn’t notice anyone around her and was playing with the little girl.

“So sis what have you decided to name her?”

“Tanya. We Kyle and I had always agreed on that one. Her middle name is Natasha!” Natasha looked up with a start and squealed. “Really?” Ellen laughed and said, “Really.” This put a huge smile on Natasha’s face. “Did you hear that Tanya? You take your middle name after me. Fancy that!” Gary, Ellen and I chuckled at the pair. Gary decided to wait back with Ellen and he told us that we could go home. I offered to get food for them and after getting them proper breakfast Natasha and I left.

Natasha was very quiet as we caught a cab. I thought it was because she was tired. She was spaced out. I sat next to her in the cab and rested my head against the seat while she rested her head against the window and stared out of it.

“Are you alright Natasha?”

“Yeah”

‘You don’t seem to be ok”

“I am fine Jude”

“Are you sure?”

“No”

I looked at her exasperated. I wanted to shake her and make her tell me what was wrong. When I realized she had been crying silently. I watched as the tears flow down her face. Why was she acting like a pregnant lady now?

“Jude, she named her daughter after me”

“I thought you were happy about it!”

“I am! But what when they come to know that we were lying to them! What if they come to know about our deal?” I stared at her as her words sank in. What indeed?

A/N: yay I uploaded again! I love you guys! After my last upload I got three more fans!!! *dances happily*Thank u so much guys can’t tell you how much all your support means to me! Please comment and vote ? Love u <3