Chapter 9

The next week at school, everyone was buzzing about the Gala ball which was happening next week. Everybody said you needed a date to be able to go, but Maddie honestly didn't want to go anyway.

"Get your Gala tickets here! Get two for the price of one!"

"Sign up to be a part of the Gala committee! It's great fun and you get free tickets!"

"Send a Gala candy to help you get a date!"

Maddie glared at the person who yelled that, who just so happened to be, Kendall K Vertes. "What, doesn't Maddie have a date? Oh that's right, she probably would've spray painted on their car or something!" She laughed and high-fived with Paige who Maddie just noticed.

"Ha ha. You're soooo funny. I'm not even going anyway!" That's 10 words! It's not worth it, just make up an excuse and leave! She thought. But instead, Maddie decided she wouldn't back down to the 'queen bee'.

"So, who are you sending it to?" Kendall said opening a permanent marker. "Alright, let me see. How about... Ooo I know! Can you please write this? Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the biggest b*tch of them all? Kendall K Vertes that is! And what's that? Does she need to get a life? I think she does!" Maddie said walking off.

Maddie hid behind some lockers and looked at Kendall. When Paige wasn't looking, Maddie saw Kendall count her fingers and hers eyes grew. Maddie didn't know what changed in her eyes but then she knew. She knew it all too well. It was the look of fear.

***

"Right! Today, we're going to be learning about-" Maddie zoned out during history as she normally would after the word learning. It was about fifteen minutes later when Maddie heard a scream.

She ran out of the classroom as fast as she could to see what it was. "Madison! Come back here right now and take your seat or you're on detention!" The teacher then muttered something about realising it was no use.

To be honest, the only thing Maddie wanted to see was a prank being pulled on Kendall as she despised her. But to Maddie's shock it was more than that.

The scream had come from Paige, who was now lying in her own blood, dead.

The next scream came from Kendall, as she ruined her white jeans by racing over to sob next to her best friend. Maddie just stared in shock as she noticed Kalani muttering how disgraceful this situation was.

She also saw the school jock, who she only noticed was back, Chloe Lukasiak looking like she was about to faint.

It was a blur as news reporters raced in with their microphones and cameras trying to get the best shots of the body. Many people tried to move Kendall but she just refused and sobbed harder.

As one of the news reporters moved Kendall, Maddie noticed a note next to Paige. Racing over to pick it up, Maddie surprisingly bumped into someone. "Oh, uh- sorry!" Kalani said.

Chloe then raced over but then noticed the two girls and just stood there, in shock. Maddie quietly whispered to them, "Look, surprisingly, I'm being threatened and I need to see this note if it has any clues of who is threatening me!" Maddie was always straight up honest and sarcastic which is why it made it easy for her to explain.

"You're kidding me, right?" Kalani exclaimed with her eyes opening wider then Maddie ever thought they could. "You think I'd joke about that?" Maddie rolled her eyes. "It's just that, well, I'm being threatened to!" Kalani said. Maddie's eyes grew. "And so am I!" Chloe said. The three girls looked at each other in shock.

Chloe finally snapped out of her daze and snatched the note. "Let's go over here and read it. I don't want anyone else to hear," she said pointing to the girls toilet.

The girls scurried over and were met with Kendall crying over the basin. "Uhh, maybe we can go somewhere else..." Kalani said slowly backing away. "Wait!" Kendall said stopping her. "Did you guys see a-a note?" The girls slowly looked at each other. "How does it affect you?" Maddie asked.

"You all probably won't believe this, but-" Chloe interrupted. "Are being threatened?" Kendall looked shocked. "Y-yes!" She sputtered. "Well, we are too and we want to catch this person." Kalani said.

"Right! Let's, uh, catch the killer!" Chloe said kind of nervously. Everyone gave her a weird look. "Too soon?" She said. Kalani nudged her as Kendall looked more upset.

"Guys! Let's stay on topic! Has anyone had any suspicions? Suspects?" Maddie said. "Wow, bad girl is actually responsible. Who would've thought?" Kendall said rolling her damp eyes.

"Right! That's gotta stop! If we argue like this we'll never figure this out! Just, work it out you too. I'll see you guys later. I'll dm you on Instagram or something," and with that, Kalani walked out of the bathroom followed by Chloe.

Kendall went back to fixing her make up and Maddie decided to leave. As she opened the door, she bumped into someone.

"Sorry," she muttered before walking away. "Brynn," Maddie heard Kendall snarl.

***

Maddie sat on the edge of her seat, waiting for the bell to ring. The teacher rambled on about some poem as the other students started to pack up their stuff. Maddie hadn't even got her books out so she just waited.

Briiinnnggggg!! Maddie jumped out of her seat and left the classroom. "Madison! Come back here immediately! I have not dismissed you-" Maddie didn't hear the rest as she was already at the front gates.

Maddie crossed the road and started the walk home. She put in her earphones and shuffled Melanie Martinez songs. She forgot about all her homework, her reputation, her threats, Paige's death and finally, she felt things were back to normal. She didn't feel upset or scared because she knew she was going to die.

She felt free.

"Hey watch it!" Maddie took out her earphones as she realised she forgot to look as she crossed the road and some truckie was beeping the horn and yelling. Maddie shut him up by flipping him the bird and walking off.

"Home!" She said and flopped on her bed. She jumped as she saw the black figure in her room. Gosh, she thought. I can't even have one half normal day without this person. "What do you want?" She rolled her eyes.

"Well, I see someone is happy today!" The figure said. Maddie imagined an evil smile drawn on their face. "You won't be happy after reading your word count!" The figure laughed then settled back down.

"So I see you met my other victims! That's good, great! But one of them is a traitor," the figure warned. Maddie stayed silent and kept her gaze.

"Well, I guess I should be off then!" The figure dropped a piece of paper and went to climb out the window. "Wait!" Maddie shouted. The figure turned around and Maddie imagined the figure raising an eyebrow.

"Why'd you kill her?" She asked. "Well, I wanted to show you that I was serious. I will kill you Madison. No more nicey pants! Kendall had to learn I was serious. Chloe will learn, Kalani will learn and then you will. And also because she was gonna die anyway!" The figure cracked up laughing then jumped out the window.

Maddie ran over to pick the piece of paper up.

535 words, the you're gone. You've been especially good, my dear. But the game is just beginning.

Maddie drew in a short breath as she didn't want to play the game. But she realised that she didn't have to. Maddie, Kalani, Chloe and Kendall were going to figure this out, wether they liked it or not.

{ boom! The plot is here! Please keep voting and comment who you think the person is... That made no sense, but you get it, right?}