Superhero {Chapter 8}

"Okay, so you all should know why we're here right now. But, for those who aren't very sure, I'll clear it up for you." Elliot sounds very professional, almost like he's done this type of thing before. "Think of it as Couple's Counseling."

"We are SO not a couple!" Brennen and I yell at the same time. I swear I just heard Eliza whisper "jinx".

"I could NEVER date someone as stuck-up, self-absorbed, uncaring, two-faced, pig-headed as that guy!" I accuse, pointing at Brennen.

"And you honestly think I could date someone as egotistical, insensitive, over-bearing, and as big of a jerk as her?" Elliot raises a hand to interrupt our brutal verbal warfare.

"Ok, Fake Couple's Counseling. And instead of ruthlessly insulting each other, I have a better idea." Brennen sighs and shakes his head while I slump back into the couch.

"How about a mediation?" Eliza suggests.

"How about we just go home?" I imitate her under my breath. Apparently it isn't 'under my breath' enough. Oops.

"How about you shut your mouth and get this over with?" She snaps back, an irritated look clouds her face. I hear a low snicker and turn to glower at the most probable culprit. Brennen has an small smirk on his face, and his eyes are darker, angrier. I narrow my eyes at him, but they immediately shoot open when I see a Nike sneaker being flung at him. Brennen gasped when it hit him square in the chest, and looking around, a smile appears on my face when my eyes fall upon Jack, minus one shoe. Brennen starts to stand up, but Sam, surprisingly calmly, push him into the confines or the couch. A small chuckled escapes my throat, and Brennen glares at me.

"Really Natalie? Can't fight your own battles? Gotta have someone else protect you, right?" Growling through clenched teeth, Brennen waits for a reaction. I have to distract myself from how gorgeous he is!

"Actually, Brennen, I'm perfectly capable of defending myself, but it's convienient to have some friends. But, you obviously wouldn't know what that's like." I calmly inform him. I must have hit a nerve, though, because he instantly looks hurt. Chewing on the inside of my cheek, I'm reminded of what happened at my house earlier, he has the same expression on his face. But there is no way I can take that back now. Right?

"Ok." Elliot remarks slowly. "Now that we're all calmed d-"

"B? Honey? Are you ok? Where are you? Hellooo?" No one has to even guess who's coming down the stairs before we see her. Amber descends to the basement pretty quickly, despite her four inch stilettos. She half-sprints over to the couch where Brennen is, ignoring Eliza.

"How in the heck do you know where I live? Or that we'd be here? Hey! Answer me!" Amber just rolls her eyes and huffs before speaking.

"I followed you, duh! B disappeared so I asked someone where he went and they told me all of you left. Then I went outside and some druggie told me you were going to your house. Ok?" Everyone's eyes widen at her report. Eliza was advancing on her, I had to do something.

"E! Hey just chill! We don't need a homicide on our hands." Eliza calmed down a considerable amount, and I know she doesn't hate me now. She's still seething, but at a safer distance. Amber pulls Brennen up off the couch and engulfs him in a tight hug. Sensing Brennen can't breathe and is a second away from pushing her off, I act fast. I jump up and pry Amber off, but I'm not quick enough. The second I separate them, I receive the impact of Brennen shoving me. Trying to regain my balance, I step back and forget about Eliza's glass coffee table. Not exactly the best thing to forget, now is it? I trip and now the carpet is coming up on me at an alarming rate, and right before I hit the ground, I hear and feel the table shatter under my weight. Crap!