Chapter Two: Katniss

When I woke up, I tried to open my eyes, however they were covered. I moved my hand slowly towards my face, lifting the piece of cloth that covered my eyes. The first thing I saw was the ceiling, a shade of pale yellow, blank. I gripped the mattress of the bed I was on as I glanced around the room. When I saw a man standing at a small desk table, fumbling with beakers of liquids and needles, my eyes widened. He was tall, with a white lab coat going down past his knees, and under that, a purple suit and bow tie set, something the infamous Caesar Flickerman would wear. His dark hair was streaked with glitter and his mustache stretched out each side of his face, ending in a curl.
   "Good morning," he said without looking at me. His accent was too familiar.
   The man poured a spoonful of blue liquid into a small needle, tapping it twice with his fingers.
   I swallowed hard, my throat begging for water. Briefly, I glanced at the sink at the table. I was envious of that water, my tongue drying with every second I stared at it. I wanted to get up, but my legs were heavy, and I could barely wiggle my toes. I had so many questions, but I only let one escape my lips. "Where's Peeta?"
   The man looked at me, raising an eyebrow as he turned to face me, crossing his muscular arms across his chest. "What do you remember?"
   At that, I faintly spoke what I remembered.
   "I destroyed the Quarter Quell arena, someone was screaming, and I—I," I dug in my memory for something else to say but I was unsuccessful. I somewhat recall hearing Peeta's cries and a tear found its way out of my eye. Suddenly my mind is back in the arena and I'm running through the jungle, plucking an arrow from the collection on my back, wrapping Beetee's coil around the tip and stretching it on my bow. I let the arrow fly towards the dome ceiling and the forcefield sparked, the lightning tree and the dome electrocuting together, blowing me backwards. And within a few minutes I'm in the air, plucked from the jungle by a hovercraft.
   A stifled laugh brought me back to reality. The man stood above me, the tiny needle gripped in his left fist. "Your husband was rescued by your pals." It did not make sense to me, raising my eyebrows, he got the memo and sighed. "We got you honey, and your friends got him. Clear?"
   A weight lifted from my shoulders. I'd rather have me hurt than him. I could not bear the thought of having Peeta in the Capitol, tortured. Because deep down, I knew that I loved him. That one kiss in the cave was one of the two that left me wanting more. More recently, the kiss in the Quell on the beach. I licked my lips and faintly I could still recall the taste of his mouth, salty from the waves and the jungle. As I remembered him, his shaggy blonde hair and his rough jaw, another tear fell down my cheek, but I carefully wiped it away with the back of my hand.
   I knew they were going to hurt me, and there was nothing more that I wanted than hope that Peeta and everyone that participated in the Quell were safe from the wrath of the Capitol. That I was the only one here.
   Torture. Death. The possibilities were endless now that I was under their careful wing.
   I sucked in a deep breath when the man brought the needle to my upper arm, more tears falling down my cheeks.
   "Deep breath," he said greedily with a smirk.
   The pinch was quick and practically painless. I looked at the ceiling, focusing my eyes on the blankness above. As my vision began to grow foggy, I prayed for the safety of my loved ones. I was willing to die in peace knowing that they were okay.
   Some of the facts were still unclear to me of what happened, but what I knew was that I was captured for being the Mockingjay. For going against the wishes of President Snow. That I was sure of.
   The last thought of before everything went black was Peeta.
"Stay with me." I had once said.
"Always." He had replied.