Whittingham Hospital

I'm walking along the trail in the woods. It's becoming hard to see where the trail is from the plants being overgrown.

I'm thinking that I'm lost and almost turn back. What stops me from turning back in a building.

I look up at the abandoned building sitting on the hill right in front of me. It looks like it's straight out of a scary movie.

I make my way towards the building. I've always been intrigued by scary or dark histories. This building looked quite old and scary.

When I'm finally standing at the front steps of the old building I can read the sign. The sign reads 'Whittingham Hospital', with small words under it reading 'mental institution'.

  I walk through the doors and I am immediately met with a musty smell.

  I look around and it's exactly as you'd expect it. The building isn't in the best shape. The paint was peeling on the walls. Ceiling tiles had fallen to the floor.

  I walk down the dark halls. It was almost pitch black, despite it being bright and sunny outside.

  There are many floors in the building. The first floor didn't have many rooms. The second floor had many rooms.

  I walk down the halls, there were many wheelchairs cluttering the hall.

  I open the door to the first room. There's cabinets filled with jars. These jars had odd looking substances floating inside.

  There was a table with a light sheet draped over it. Above the table was a light hanging, which I'm guessing they used to see better during surgeries.

  I also notice a drain towards the center of the floor. There was still dried blood, I assumed it was blood, surrounding the drain.

I cringe thinking of all the awful things that probably went on here. I exit the room and continue my trip down the long depressing halls. I enter another room and notice it's an office.

There's a desk littered with documents and a few filing cabinets.  There's a framed photo on the wall of, what in guessing, is the staff.

  They're all dressed in white nurses outfits, sitting in front of the building. The building looked just as, if not more, dark and intimidating in the photo.

The papers on the desk made it seem as though they had just got up and left.

I begin to look through the filing cabinets and find some interesting documents. They're patient files.

  I pick one at random and find a folder with a picture of a small girl inside.

'LILLIAN FOSTER, PATIENT 902' was written in bold lettering at the top.

  I didn't bothering reading the rest of her folder. I was almost in a trance, looking at her picture. The poor girl couldn't have been older than ten years old. Her eyes held so much sadness, I could almost feel her sadness just by looking at the picture.

I put away the folder and shut the cabinet drawer. I begin to walk down the narrow halls once again.

  I enter a room that seemed to be used for surgical procedures. It was similar to the other room I had examined earlier. There was a operating table and a drain positioned on the floor. Standing next to the table is a smaller table on wheels. It held many old surgical tools, some still stained with who knows what.

  I walk to the operating table and put my hand on the cold porcelain surface.

I feel as though an electric wave has gone through me.

  I look around the room and it's as though I've gone back in time. There are doctors and nurses running around the room.

  On the operating table lay a boy, no older than twenty. He had blonde hair and piercing blue eyes. He's strapped to the table and he struggles against his restraints.

  A man, who I'm assuming is the doctor, walks over to the boy.

"Don't worry, you'll be cured soon!" The man says cheerfully

"Let me go you bastard!" The boy spits at the doctor

The doctor seems to be unfazed by this, as he continues to talk to nurses about the procedure about to take place. As I look down at the boy, I can't help but want to help him. It's as if my feet are glued to the floor. I can't move.

A nurse walks over and straps his head to the table, despite his constant protest.

The boy strapped to the table continues to scream, begging them to stop. The doctor and nurses don't even give him a second glance, as they continue they're preparations.

  The doctor walks over to the boy, scalpel in hand. The boy screams louder than ever, continuing trying to break free from the restraints. His attempt fails, however, because of the tight hold the restraints have on the boys body.

The doctor positions the scalpel in the direction of the boys eye. I look away, not wanting to watch what was about to go on. I covered my eyes as I listen to the screams of the boy. They hadn't even given him any medicine for the pain. This was torturous.

  When the screaming ended I uncover my eyes. The doctor was cleaning off his utensils as the boy sits on the table, not moving. The only movement from the boy was his chest falling and rising.

A nurse is ordered to take the patient back to his room. When the nurse helps the boy stand and is escorting him out of the room, I can't help but gasp.

  There's a strange mark on one of the boys eye balls. There was also a gruesome mark left on his forehead, surely going to leave a scar. As the boy walks out, blood still covering his face, I realize what had just happened.

The boy had just had a lobotomy. I had read about this in many places. Doctors thought that by doing this procedure, they could cure the patients mental illness.

  Lobotomies were also used as a form a torture. The mortality rate for procedures like this were very high. Most of the times the patient didn't want the procedure, but was forced too. Just as I had saw with the poor blonde boy.

The image of the doctor cleaning his utensils slowly starts to fade.

  I look around the room in horror. I immediately take my hand off the operating table, as if it had burned me.

  I slowly back out of the room, not wanting to dwell in the room I had just witnessed a lobotomy be executed in.

-

Hello, people who are reading this! Hope you enjoyed the first chapter. Poor Luke, had a lobotomy😭
Please vote and comment❤️