Interlude

~Seth~

I watched her back as she stormed off into the store room, her sandy blonde ponytail trailing behind her- whipping in air as she strutted off.

Riley.

"Some temper."

"The kid's got it bad.", said Frank, grabbing my attention. He was looking at the shut storeroom door as I had been seconds before.

"What do you mean?", I asked. Frank sighed, shaking his head slightly and turning his attention to me.

"I don't really know. She just moved here after you went away, out of nowhere. Doesn't say much except how much she loves surfing and she's got skill, I must say. Could beat me."

My eyebrows flew high up my forehead.

"She surfs?"

"Why do you think I hired her? She's real good! She had me wrapped around her little finger the moment she caught that tricky wave."

I nodded at him, my eyes scanning the carpeted floor.

"Anyway, I gotta run or I'll be late." He lifted his hand to look at his watch before grabbing the organizer he had placed on the counter, nodding at me and turning around in rushed motions.

"Sure."

I watched his back as he brisk walked to his car.

"Hey, wait. When do the children come in?", I called.

I was unsure if he still had them come at 11 to the catch the earlier waves like he used to. A lot can change in a year and who knew that better than me?

"Riley. Ask Riley. She'll help you out. See you later.", he called, backing his jeep and speeding of.

I stared a minute at the now empty road till the dust his Hummer's wheels blew off settled down before turning around and going in.

Riley.

The word kept ringing in my ears like the Sunday morning bells at a town church.

"Riley.", I said softly, testing her name on my lips.

Feisty was an understatement for the mystery girl. Her parting words yesterday had me tossing in my bed all night, wishing she was real, contrary to what she seemed on the moonlit beach just yesterday.

Some noises seemingly emanating from the store room caught my attention in the quiet of the store.

I walked to the door, grabbing the knob and twisting it open. My movements were slow and tentative-unsure.

My eyes were met with bright sunlight streaming in from the huge windows the store room had. Frank loved the sun and the sea bit too much, if you hadn't already guessed. A soft groan from the far corner had me scanning the room for her.

She had her body stretched, reaching for something on the top shelf. The sunlight was casting a beautiful glow in the room, surrounding her in its blanket. It looked like the light was emanating from her, making her seem as unreal as she did last night.

I took an unthinking step closer. Her t-shirt had ridden up her stomach slightly, exposing the skin on the lower belly- teasing my eyes.

The gap between us closed in a blink of an eye. Suddenly, I was engulfed by a smell-her smell. It wasn't strawberry or lavender like I expected. Vanilla. It was a simple vanilla drawing me in. It was intoxicated with a hint of the salty sea smell and something else I couldn't quite recognize. Maybe, it was just her.

I took the last step separating us, my mind a whirlwind. I wasn't really sure how I got here- so, so close to her. Maybe I was seeing things. Maybe she was just a figment of my imagination. And just maybe she will disappear into thin air the next time I blink.