20

"It's cold, take this," Nate sits next to me and hands me his jacket.

I put it on and look away from him, "thanks."

"What's wrong?"

"N-nothing," I whimper.

"Hey," he says and I look at him. "What's up?"

"Jack kissed Madison. He told me not to worry about her and he went and kissed her," a tear fell from my face. "I don't even know why I care, we're just friends."

"You like him, don't you?" he asks.

"No. I- I don't know," I cover my face.

"C'mon," he stands up.

I look up at him confused and he sticks out his hand for me to grab.

"Come on, I'm not going to let you cry over him all night. I'm going to take you out to have some fun," he says. "We've still got an hour of daylight, let's make the most of it."

We got into his car and he started driving.

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"It's a surprise," Nate answers.

I stare out the window the whole time. The ride to wherever we were going was silent.

"Where are we?" I ask as we get out of his car.

"Just follow me," he smiles and sticks out his hand.

I grab his hand and we walk up a really tall hill.

"Nate-"

"You can call me Skate," he interrupts.

"No, I'll call you Nate," I say. "Why are we walking up this really tall hill?"

"Keep up, shorty," he ignores my question.

Once were at the top, he turns around and sits in the damp grass. I stare down at him and he pats the grass. I sit down and turn around to face the way he was facing.

What I saw was breathtaking. The sky was all kinds of colors, little bit of green, a lot of blue and purple, some pink, and orange. It didn't just cover the horizon, it covered the entire sky in front of me.

"Wow," I say as I stare at it.

"I know, it's fuckin pretty," he says.

I stare at the pretty sky. It was like, really pretty. I noticed it started to set.

The colors got darker, and they slowly went away.

Then the sky was just dark. I felt my face heat up and water filled my eyes. A tear slipped down my face and I sniffled.

"What's wrong?" Nate asked. "I thought this would make you happy."

"I-it did make me happy, but now it's gone. The prettiness is gone," I sobbed. "Just like Jack," I mumble the last part.

"Huh?"

"N-nothing."

"Ana, Jack isn't gone. I've seen the way he looks at you, and treats you. He trusts you, and he'd be stupid to abandon you," Nate says, trying to make me feel better.

"I-I don't know why I am crying," tears fall down my face. "I-I think I l-like him, Nate," I hide my face in my hands.

He pulls me into a hug, "it'll be okay. Tell him how you feel."

I wipe my face and try to smile.

"Let's do something," I say.

"I don't have much money," he says patting his pockets. "Just a few dollars."

"We don't need money for this," I smile. "Let's go to Walmart."

"Why?" he laughs.

"We can mess around, it'll be fun," I say.

"Alright," he says.

He was starting to walk down the hill but I stopped him.

"You're doing it wrong," I say.

I lay down and roll down the hill. I hear his laughs over mine. When I get to the bottom, I stand up and watch him tumble down.

He starts laughing, "why did I just do that?"

//

I binge write. Someone stop me.