19.) Spiritual Ascend

Start from the beginning

                “Okay, you got this, Lee,” I muttered to myself.

                I then began the slow descent down the stairs. My heart was beating rapidly in my chest because this was the first time that a different boy that wasn’t my best friend or my cousin had seen me in a dress and I was very sure that they wouldn’t like what they saw. But I still went down anyways, no time to back out now.

                The first thing I heard were gasps—from my family, the boys, and him. Then I saw his face.

                It was a mixture of amusement and awe. He was struck, that I could see. Then I saw a slow smile creep up his beautiful face, reaching his eyes. Nate took my hand and led me down the rest of the stairs, his bluish-green eyes alive with happiness…and something else.

                His hands curved around my waist and he whispered in my ears, “You look beautiful, Leah.”

                I smiled up at him. “Thanks, Nate, but credits go to Julie and Sophie for the make-up.”

                He chuckled and led me towards my group of friends and their dates to the dance. They were all chatting happily with each other. I had a feeling tonight would be a pretty big night for all of us.

                “You girls look gorgeous!” My mom gushed as she came out of the living room, bringing a camera. “Ooh, let me take pictures.”

                She took pictures by pair; Elaine and Simon, Julie and Michael, Sophie and Cody, Tori and Victor, Nate and me. Then we had solos, an all-girls picture as well as all-boys, and a formal group picture. We even had a wacky one. I loved the wacky most of all. It was the best of all pictures and it was taken in the living room.

                Michael and Cody posed as Superman behind the couch, looking at opposite directions; Simon acted like the Hulk, Victor was caught mid-cough, making him look like a retard; Nate was the most decent of all—he was in mid-laugh and his eyes were sparkling.

                The girls on the other hand were just as strange. Elaine and Julie pulled weird faces; Sophie and Tori were doing piggy noses and fish mouths while I just sat there, laughing at them…somehow coming like a moron on the picture. We all laughed at the picture and Simon declared that it was the weirdest photo he has ever taken in a group.

                “Have fun, you kids!” My mom said as she waved from the porch. We were all headed for our cars. Simon and Elaine went in a separate car while Julie and Sophie rode with Michael and Cody. So that left Nate’s car for Victor, Tori, and I—awesome!

                “We sure will, Mrs. Sparks!” Tori called back, with a smile. Once we were finally settled in the car, Tori said with a slight smirk. “Now let’s have fun, tonight.”

***

                After parking the car, we all got out and headed towards the gym where the Homecoming Dance was being held. Even from here, we could already hear the booming music. And when we went inside I could definitely say this year was so much better than what we had last year. In an array of colors, strobe lights flicked here and there. It changed from mighty blue to green; pink to gold; yellow to orange and a whole lot more. The cliché streamers and balloon littered the place and an unlighted disco ball was in the middle of the room.

                At one side were the finger foods and drinks while in the other side were the tables where people could sit. Everyone was here dancing and a few couples were making out in the dark corners where teachers couldn’t see them. The teachers themselves—there were only like four chaperones—were too busy handing out foods and watching over the drinks so no one couldn’t slip something into it.