Hearts gone haywire

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ: I am moving houses so will be without internet for max two weeks so won't be able to update any of my stories during that time. I haven't stopped writing. Bare with me <3 

What would you do if you found out that the girl you envied your entire life was engaged to the man you loved? What would you do if you were kissing that man no less than 24 hours ago? How would you feel?  Pretty confused right?

So as the words rolled off her pretty pink lips without even a moment of hesitation, I had to do a double take, 'wait what?' 

'Didn't Alec tell you? We are engaged.' Lydia chimed excitedly, as if she hadn't just announced her engagement with Alec to his siblings who by the looks of it had absolutely no idea either or much less, arrested Meliorn just seconds before. I exchanged a weird look with Clary then Jace and then caught Izzy glaring daggers at the blonde bitch. Who can blame her? 

'When did this happen?' Jace sounded angry and hurt, 'yesterday.' she replied casually and I could see Alec stiffen in her peripheral vision, his eyes on me. I wasn't going to give him the opportunity to look at me with those penetrating eyes and figure out what I was thinking, no, if he wanted to spring this on me right now, let alone his siblings, I wasn't going to make it easy for him. I was hurt. I felt betrayed in every sense, 'yesterday.'

The words after that became foggy and irrelevant. Lydia was engaged to the boy I loved.  Anger bubbled up inside of me. Was this not the same boy who I locked lips with yesterday? 

Alec was engaged to Lydia. The worst part about it was that I didn't even deserve to be angry, it wasn't justified.  We kissed a couple times but we weren't a thing so I shouldn't have felt that way. I shouldn't have felt angry and hurt.  I could feel his eyes baring into the side of my face like hot irons but I avoided his gaze, I wasn't going to give him a peep into my soul...not this time. If he wanted to marry Lydia then he was not the guy I thought he was. Yes. That made me feel better actually until I remembered Lydia was perfect; unmistakably beautiful, smart and dedicated to her job, a trait I'm sure Alec admired. Why would I mean anything to him? Of course he would be into her. What kept nagging at me though was the question...what actually happened when they went to Jade Wolf? They were strangers when they left and now they're engaged? 

Did this have anything to do with Alec's anger last night? He seemed frustrated about something. Surely the two were connected?

'Ophelia?'

'Huh?' Lydia's questioning voice bought me out of my riverie and my eyes instantly met those of the person I wanted most to avoid...

Hazel orbs stared down at me, however, for once, I didn't want to run and hide from them, I wanted to challenge them.  I stared back at him with a mixture of anger and curiosity. 'Yes?' I responded, still looking at Alec. He stared back at me with a mixture of subtle curiosity and guilt, though his stance was strong and assertive as if he had done nothing wrong...technically he hadn't unless you count stealing my heart and messing with my feelings as a crime.  'Are you alr-'

'Yes thank you Lydia,' I interjected blankly, turning to face her now without feeling like I'd lost the stare off with the man of the hour, I got the reaction I needed from him, curiosity. I wanted him to feel as dumbstruck as I did. 

'If you'll excuse me,' I slipped away from the group and towards Mayress' office. I knew I ought to check in with my temporary boss and what better way to remind me that I shouldn't have feelings for Alec all together than talking to his Mum? 

...

'Hello sweetheart...' Raphael's gaze met mine and an arrogant yet excited smirk played at his face, 'miss me too much?'