detective stories

In M/T, there are a lot of detective stories- not just on Wattpad but in the genre generally. In book stores, the genre Mystery/Thriller doesn't exist and instead we have the genres Crime and Thriller.

Detective stories are my favourite products of M/T because they require a lot of planning but it's worth it when the crime is solved. Detective stories are appealing to write but can be difficult to actually put down in words.

Here are my tips on how to write detective stories:

1. EXPLAIN! Everything needs to be explained in detail, especially when you are finishing the book meaning the case is solved. Readers will be left confused if you leave things hanging around.
2. CHARACTERS NEED TO HAVE SUBSTANCE! Your detective is obviously a smart person otherwise they wouldn't be solving cases, but readers need more than that. Your detective shouldn't be defined by the case, they should have a backstory and a life in general.
3. COMPLICATED CRIMES! The more complex a crime is, the more you can write about it. If it's a straight 'he's the guilty one' case then readers may be left bored. Have false leads, suspicious family members etc
4. THE FINALE! The last chapters should be action packed just to keep the reader's heart beating that little bit faster.
5. GET THEM RIGHT FROM THE START! Hook them with action from the start and get them invested in the crime at hand.
6. PLAY WITH PEOPLE'S MINDS! You know how we've already talked about unexpected plot twists- yeah well these tend to be a compulsory feature in detective stories.