Chapter 5

When we got to the camp with survivors, It was a small little neighborhood with dumpsters and fences for protection. I must have been asleep for a long time in the crash because it seemed as if they had this protection for a while.

I was hoping to find anyone I knew in the camp, but I didn't. I didn't know what to do anymore. I had to stay alert and focused if I wanted to survive.

"Okay we are here! Wasn't that bad, see?" Blake sighed in relief. I chuckled and looked away.

Quinly shoved passed both of us and ran to this boy. The way it seemed it might have been her little brother.

"Jack you're okay!" She hugged him while he smiled.

He curiously looked over at me in confusion.

"Who is she sis?" He backed up behind her. Quinly tried hiding her gritting teeth when she introduced me to he little brother.

"This is Devon". She smiled and turned her little brother around and told him to go play. Then she turned around. Ever since she found me she made my skin boil. She was not the friendly type obviously. I guess she was just cranky because she wanted to take care of her little brother instead of take care of me.

Blake walked up to me and looked embarresed of Quinly's behavior.

"Don't worry she won't bite." He whispered so she couldn't hear.

"Yeah I bet.." I looked around at the little neighborhood.

"Hey Devon...you want to see something cool?"

He took me to the roof and Quinly followed too. We all sat down and looked over the town. There was crawlers everywhere. Despite the beautiful sunset everything was just so...gloomy. To see our beautiful town just go to waste like it did was sad. It just wasn't the same.

"I lost my sister when it first started..." Blake looked down at his feet with a frown.

"I don't know where my parents are but I'm sure they are dead because these things grow so fast" Quinly looked down at her feet also.

"I'm sorry guys..." There was a long moment of silence after I apologized for their losses.

"I was going to visit my family for a while but now I don't even know if they are still alive." I dried one of my tears.

"I'll tell you what Devon. How about we will watch after each other until this things clears out. We'll even teach you how to kill the munchers." I needed all the help I could possibly get so I agreed. She was being nice now. I was shocked but just happy.

"Thank you Quinly" I smiled with hope that this eventually WOULD clear out and I could go to my family and say sorry to Robbie so hopefully he could cure this thing.

"No problem freak." She looked at me and once again smiled.

I laughed and we all hugged. I saw this old woman watching us. She looked like she wanted to say something.

"Come on down here children it's time for supper and by the look of it, if you don't hurry soon enough, it will be gone." She sounded serious and I was kind of hungry, so Blake helped us down and we went into the biggest house in our camp.

I sat down and waited to be served and I could tell we were running low on food already because everyone only got one scoop of beans and an apple. It wasn't much but we had food. That's all that mattered.

I looked around the table and there was about eight of us. There was of course, Quinly and her brother, Blake, The old woman, a married couple, a very quiet girl and laste but not least, me.

We all sat down and Blake announced my arrival. I was very shy because to me, there were many people, but I was also hungry, so it didn't bother me as much.

"Everyone this is Devon. Quinly and I found her in a car crash with a muncher close by. We saved her and didn't have time to fix her injuries but we can do that after dinner. Grandma? Can you help her please?" He looked at the old lady and she glanced over at me.

"Sure thing." She continued to eat.

"I'm not that injured I'll survive its fine..." She gave me a crazy look.

"Honey when you crashed you could have had a concussion and if you didn't already notice, there is a cut on your back, bleeding in through your shirt. And I also need to check for bites.." I was going to be a doctor so I already knew what had happened but she offered to help and I didn't want to be rude so I agreed.

We all sat there eating until we were finished.After the woman checked if I was okay, It was getting late so I asked Blake where I would sleep. He brought me into one of the houses.

"This is now Quinly and Jacks house, but I am letting you sleep in one of their rooms". He sighed, " I should be getting to sleep...I'll be next door. Goodnight Dev" He waved goodbye and walked away.

I guess this is my life now.