8 Darius

SistaGirlz Book #4

DARIUS

"Yo, Ron!" I yelled as I stepped off the bus. Blocks away from TaMeeka's house, I was surprised to see my boy. "What you doin' ova this way?"

Slapping hands to give each other dap as we stood next to his car, Aaron chuckled. "Just coming from Angie's to get my braids hooked up. You gonna see Meeka?"

Looking at his freshly done Allen Iverson-style cornrows, I envied my friend temporarily although I would soon get my own hair braided. "Meeka does it betta plus she doesn't charge me."

"Neither does Angie," Aaron winked as we both knew how she was hooking him up. To hear it from anyone else, Angela was a ho but the truth was that she loves differently than the rest of us. "I gave her some of this dick then she hooked me up!"

Cringing at my boy's words as he referred to my former lover, I sneered. "Y'all betta not let Devin know what y'all are up to!"

Cracking up laughing, Aaron said, "That nigga was so busy chasing them young ass high school girls that Angie keeps me on standby!"

"I guess," I replied with nothing else to add.

"I'm about to head ova to Baby Girl's house. We gonna hook up later for the game?" Aaron asked as he got into his car before he lit a fat Kush blunt.

"Ya know it! Lemme gon' and get my braids hooked up then y'all can come over later," I invited.

"Bet! See ya later, dawg!" said Aaron before he drove away.

Looking up at Angela's building, a melancholy smile touched my lips. As much as I still loved Angela, I wouldn't give up my family to be with her.

Angela's apartment was a few blocks away from TaMeeka's house, too close for my comfort to be honest. As much as I implored for her not to, Angela insisted on "keeping our family together," refused to listen to me and signed the lease. When TaMeeka learned the truth of my relationship with Angela, she threatened to take our baby and leave St. Louis without any word of where they would go! By the grace of God, TaMeeka hadn't run into Angela in the neighborhood. Not wanting to lose either of them, I let them control my heart's puppet strings.

As I stepped closer to the door, I could hear TaMeeka's voice raised in anger. Immediately, I knocked on the door to see what the problem was.

"Because I love him!" TaMeeka snapped as she opened the door. Grinning wildly at the sight of me, she gestured for me to come inside the house. "Look, Mama, this is my life! You don't have to like what I do!"

The living room was set up like a mini hair salon to allow TaMeeka to make money from her side gig of braiding hair after school and on weekends.

Covering the mouthpiece on the phone receiver, TaMeeka asked me, "Did you wash your hair yet?"

Shaking my head to indicate that I hadn't, TaMeeka grimaced before I followed her into the kitchen. Turning on the sink faucet, she continued her conversation.

"Fine. Give me a month and I'll be gone!" Slamming the phone down onto the wall base, TaMeeka ended her call. "My Mama is kicking me out."

"What?!" I exclaimed in disbelief. How could Ursula James abandon her pregnant daughter? "Why?!"

"She said that since I'm grown enough to have my own family, I need my own house," TaMeeka stated as she began to unbraid my hair. I could feel her frustration as she angrily pulled at my braids.

"Damn, Baby! Maybe you should wait 'til you calm down. You're about to yank all of my hair out!" I exclaimed in pain.

"I'm sorry, Boo. Mama pissed me the fuck off with that bullshit!" TaMeeka said as she continued unbraiding my hair with a gentler touch. "She's only saying that cuz she thinks you're still cheating on me."