Chap. 7

“Hey,” Zoe’s voice said.

I slowly blinked awake and let out a yawn.

Her worried eyes met mine. “Don’t move.”

“What, why?”

“I woke up to a beeping sound, and I didn’t even think twice about it. But I think your pod has been going off for the past hour.”

Hour? I looked at the clock. It was 11:30.

“Did we have dinner?” I asked Zoe.

“I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure I didn’t.”

“Shit, I must’ve fallen asleep on the couch.” I went to get up.

“Don’t move,” she ordered. She hurried into the kitchen. “Name a high carb meal,” she yelled.

The fog was settling in over my brain, a headache pounding away at my skull. I felt as if everything was moving in slow motion, including me.

She handed me a glass of orange juice and a package of Oreos. “Aw shit. Mason, drink, now.”

I looked at the orange juice in my hands. My hands were shaking.

“Mason, now!”

I slowly blinked, unsure of what was going on.

Zoe’s eyes bore into mine. “Put the damn orange juice down your throat or I’ll do it for you.”

I took a sip of the orange juice, the sugar surging through my system, but it wasn’t enough to lift the fog.

Zoe disappeared, and I felt like I was moving in slow motion as I took in my surroundings. She came back with a syringe.

I slowly put the orange juice on the table. “I know you’re not going to put that thing into me.”

“You’ll thank me later.”

I didn’t have time to react before she jammed the syringe into my upper arm.

The fog instantly cleared, and I was able to think clearer.

“Mason?” Zoe asked.

“Spaghetti.”

She looked at me like I was crazy. “What?”

“Spaghetti is a high carb meal.”

She took a deep breath. “You want me to cook?”

Shit. I didn’t have the energy to do it myself, but I needed something with high carbs.

“I’ll do it,” she said, handing me the orange juice. “Drink this in the meantime.”

“Do you know how?”

“Cook hamburger and noodles, I don’t think it’s overly complicated.”

This was coming from Zoe, the girl who earlier today destroyed my kitchen trying to make breakfast.

I didn’t have the energy to argue with her, and she disappeared into the kitchen again. I took another sip of the orange juice, the sugar slowly killing the pounding headache.

My shaking hands fumbled to open the Oreo package. “Dammit,” I muttered, giving up. I finished off the orange juice.

Zoe was by my side almost instantly, and she opened the package. “How’re you doing?”

“Better, thanks. How’d you know about the syringe?”

“Hawaii.” She disappeared back into the kitchen.