PL[III]: Plain Congee

Start from the beginning

"Welcome home, Hajime." You say barely above a whisper, "How was work? Are you hungry? I can make you something." The questions just flowed out of your mouth and before you knew it, you were placing your daughter in the child's hammock and draping at least 2 blankets on her. "What do you want to eat?"

Iwaizumi watched with furrowed brows as you quickly raced to the kitchen to put on your apron. The flustered look on your tinted face brought a small grin to the male's face as you looked at him in anticipation and expectancy. "Well, Hajime?"

"I'm not hungry, don't worry. Did you eat yet?" He responded, pointing to the small pot sitting on the stove located behind you. Your head spun slowly towards the stove and it wasn't until Iwaizumi asked, that you realized there was rice porridge sitting there.

"No, I haven't actually. I just woke up, to be quite honest." You sheepishly say, walking towards the cabinet to reach a bowl. Your eyes darted up towards the available bowls on the third shelf, and the two on the second shelf. Despite it only being on the second, you found it quite daunting since it was still too high for you. Iwaizumi noticed and followed behind you, reaching over your hands. His sturdy chest was pressed against your body as he leaned over, slightly squishing you between his body and the counter. A small deep grunt escaped his lips as he strained his arm, taking the last two bowls that were sitting on the second shelf.

"I keep forgetting to put the bowls on the first shelf after drying the dishes, sorry." Iwaizumi mumbles, placing them onto the counter. You slide out of your spot to open the utensil drawers, pulling out two soup spoons.

"No worries. I think I should invest in a small stepping stool, that way I'll be able to reach the bowls and stuff fine." You reply, holding the two spoons in your hands as you watch Iwaizumi scoop congee into the two glass bowls.

"Or you could grow taller," the male smirks, glancing to see you pout on the spot. Your arms quickly fold against your chest as you stick your tongue out at him.

"Oh, go bugger off." You say, grinning. Your arms unfold afterwards, dropping to your side as you stick the spoons into the bowl.

"I'm kidding. Remember when you used to climb on top of the counters? What happened to that method?" The former ace asks, lifting both bowls off of the counter and towards the small wooden dining table near the window fit for two. Your footsteps mimic his as he places the bowls down, allowing you to take your seat first before sitting across.

"Well you see, Hajime. After being pregnant and almost losing my life, that old youthful carefree attitude is behind me. Besides, I'm getting old and I'm out of shape." You find yourself forcefully giggling at your own answer. The male only silently nodded, staring at you with eyes engulfed in pity. "I'm not like who I used to be..." You whisper, moving the strands of hair in your face, behind your right ear. Your ears picked up on a sigh that left the male's lips as he handed you the salt and pepper.

"We've all change," Iwaizumi states, "it is only natural." You fiddle with the spoon in the white plain congee, swirling it from side to side in the bowl.

"I know, but I just wanted a few more years, that's all." That was your last response before stuffing your mouth with a spoonful of bland rice porridge, which practically matched your life. Boring, plain, and utterly sad.

"Beep! Beep!" The sound of a faint ring caught your attention as Iwaizumi pulled his phone out of his pocket. He took the call on spot rather than excusing himself like he usually would, and honestly, you didn't mind. It was nice getting a small glimpse of what was happening in Iwaizumi's life when he wasn't watching over you.

"Yes, what's going on?" He asked in a stern voice with his eyebrows furrowed, "No, I'm eating at the moment..." You mouthed to Iwaizumi to ask what was happening, but he shrugged his shoulders before returning his attention back to the caller. "I can be there in ten. I'll see you soon." The call ended quickly and Iwaizumi plunged his phone back into the pocket of his black pants.

"Do you have to leave?" You inquire, genuinely concerned. You weren't able to pick up on who or what the caller needed or asked of Iwaizumi, so you were hoping the male would fill you in on the details. He only slips in the last spoonful of congee in his mouth, swallowing it completely, before answering you.

"Unfortunately I do, there are a few people who wanna see me again." He says, getting up from the table towards the sink with his empty bowl. "If you don't want to wash the dishes, just leave it there. I don't mind,"

"Don't worry about it. It is the least I can do since you cooked. Thank you for the meal." You reply, watching him put on his coat and scarf once more.

"Alright then. I'll see you soon. If you have any problems or troubles, just call me. You know I'll be here in less than a second for you." Iwaizumi states, now opening the door.

"I know," you wave him off, "Stay safe." You add, watching a light pink hue appear on his face as he nods, closing and locking the door behind him gently. You finish your congee not long after, and you washed the dishes quite quickly. Your daughter was still peacefully asleep in her seat, cooing from time to time. You took this quiet opportunity to run back to your bedroom to grab the diary, before coming back out to take the same seat you took last night. Luckily Iwaizumi had placed a small sticky in the between the pages you were on, saving your spot.

Now where were we?