(1)

"Skylar, you are a hopeless romantic!" Leah yells as she rips my book from my hands. I let out a groan running my fingers through my long blonde locks.
"I know, but fairy-tales are so much better than reality!" I say dropping my glasses into my lap, my tired eyes blurry.

"I just want my mate." I say with a small pout as she returns my book to my lap.
"I know, gorgeous, but mates are basically nonexistent anymore, just like packs. Ever since packs split, people haven't been able to find their mates." Leah says taking my hands in hers, she gives me a apologetic smile before pulling me up.

"We are going out to the pub, it's Deon's birthday, he said you can come!" She says pulling me to her room.
She picks out an outfit has I do my make up, mascara, eyeliner, little powder and red lips; my hair in light wavy curls down my back ending a few inches before my behind.
Leah picked out for me cropped knitted-maroon sweater, ending at my belly button, as well as a pair of ripped skinny jeans; pairing it off with some boot heels.

Leah instead wears leggings and silk v-neck that hugs her curves, pairing it off with black pumps, and her straight hair in a high ponytail.

"This isn't a good idea." I say tucking my glasses into my purse, I only need to wear them when while reading, and writing. The perks of being far sighted and not near.

"You'll be fine. It's for Deon, maybe you'll meet a nice guy instead! I'll get you drunk, and you can have a fun night." Leah winks pulling me out the door, I roll my eyes but get in the awaiting taxi.
"I'm not having a one night stand, Leah!" I whisper yell, she just giggles but shrugs.

After about twenty minutes, we pay the man and walk into a lively bar, dance floor and everything.

"Hey you made it!" Deon says hugging both of us, him and Leah have a 'thing' going on.
"Of course, come on Skylar let's get drinks!" She says pulling me over to the barn tender.

I order a margarita and sit with the rest of the group, I mean Leah's group. I don't know anyone since they are all from her work, not mine.
Leah's job is being a stripper, she makes great money, but also visits the doctors very other week to make sure she is safe.

Me, on the other hand, I'm the head journalist down on Wall Street. I still make more money then her, and she is a stripper!
My best friend and roommate are crazy as hell, but I love her. She never brings home strangers from the job, at least.
Another hour later and I'm up for another drink, and feeling a little tipsy.

"Hi," I drag out with a smile. "Rum and Coke," I shrug out, the bartender stares at me, but agrees as I pay up.
Instead I stay at the bar and drink up.

"Hey," I hear, I look over and see a guy with a friendly smile. "You've visited the bar a few times already." He says taking my drink, ordering water which is given to me instead.
"Don't get to drunk here, guys won't care. Especially the ones that aren't our kind." The guy growls looking over my shoulder, that is when I finally sniffed the air.

Wolves and Vampires.

"I shouldn't be here." I say trying to get up, but the mans arm holds me down.
"Don't worry, we're the same." He says and by his touch I can tell he isn't lying.
"My friend, she is over there, we have to leave." I say looking over to where Leah once was but is no longer as people blur my vision.
"She is with another wolf, she is okay. They are getting out to, this lace is to populated with vampires." He says, his eyes glimmering with a shade of gold before they turn black.
"Let's go." He says taking hold of my arm as he leads us through the back.

"I don't know you!" I shout over the music as people move to fast around me, and not because I am tipsy.
"I don't know you either!" The man shouts back as the fall night cools my warm body.

He helps me into the car, getting in himself as I see more people exit, but vampires moving at the speed of light towards us.

"Oh no," I say as the car roars to life; then we are off.
"Where are we going?" I question looking at the city life pass by as the dark forests take view.
"To my safe house. Every wolf is suppose to have them, even without packs." He says glancing over at me.
"Oh, I don't." I say and he chuckles.
"I didn't think so. What's your name?" He wonders as the car slows its speed getting on the highway now.

"Skylar," I say as I take in our sights.
"Dennis," He says reaching a hand over, and I shake it.

"What pack where you in?" Dennis wonders.
"Night-Hollow, and you?" I respond resting my head back as the cars rush by.
"Half-Moon." He says and I nod. Half-Moon was originated all the way in California, and now he's in New York.
"How long have you been in New York?" I ask.

Packs had stopped around five years ago when I was seventeen, and now I am twenty-one, newly.

Though no one quite understood why the Alpha's had sudden disappeared, and the Elders called us all to mix with the humans. But every mythical creatures as humans call us, we all had stopped packs. Vampires, Pixies, Wizards, the whole bunch of us, they just stopped.

"When the pack split, I moved here." I just nod, we didn't speak for the rest of the hour ride, but it was comfortable silence.

After an hour it is two in the morning and I am completely tired.
He helps me in and it is a huge safe house with multiple rooms. We head upstairs and to the right as he leads me into a room.

"You can sleep here. Bathroom is down the hall, kitchen is down the stairs and to the left. And I'm a floor up and straight down- Ah!" He lets out a loud growl holding his head as he collapses to his knees.

"Dennis, you okay?" I say crouching next to him, I see his eyes widen and he walks out of my room standing outside of it.

"Oh f*ck, no." He says with fearful eyes, I hear footsteps as more men stand by Dennis' side.
"What's wrong man?" One asks staring at me before his face pales. They all take two steps back as loud footsteps storm into my vision.

"Who the f*ck are you, and why are you here?" The livid man says, I stare in shock as my body does that weird tingle thing.

Holy Christmas.