PROLOGUE - SENSES

First things first: The first few chapters are really cringy. BUT PLEASE continue the story. It gets better with time. I promise!!

Hope you have fun reading anyway!

PROLOGUE

"[...] People who shout joy from the rooftops are often the saddest of all[...]"

-Milan Kundera, The Joke

And if the lightning should hit him, so it should be.

And if he should die tonight, he wouldn't mind.

Up here he was a part of the world. At least he felt like he was.

By his clothes were getting wetter every second, and with every breath he took, his shirt clutched tighter to his chest.

Sitting up here was the only thing he found calm in.

He would not mind anything. Nothing at all. No matter the time.

His messy, fire red hair sticking on his face as if somebody drew it.

There was no difference between tear- and raindrop.

His senses were more sensitive than ever before.

His mind was fast but slow. He never experienced feelings like this, ever before.

So many different things to enjoy and detest, to love and to hate.

So many smells coming from the dirty streets underneath him. They were burning in his lungs for ages.

The smell of fresh air in this city was one of the most requested things. But no one could buy it.

And he had it. He had the smell of rain pouring down onto him.

He had the smell in his nose and wished for it to never fade. Ever.

It was like it washed away all the bad smells that were stuck in his nose for weeks and months.

Like a mountain that was cleaned by a white, beautiful cloud.

It felt like the times his mind was cleaned by a Jim Morrison poem that was stuck in his head.

He closed his eyes and focused on this smell for one more time as he took a deep breath.

As he opened them again he saw various lights brightening up the dark night.

Some would reflect themselves.

He saw small, blurry raindrops hanging down from his lashes.

He saw the city drowning in lights.

Cars, houses, warning signs, advertisements, mobile phones.

Different colors, different intensity.

And it was like darkness and light performed a play. And nobody cared. Nobody watched.

But him.

He concentrated on every single thing that changed.

He would not notice anything else. He would not hear anything else.

And that's why his heart skipped just one beat as a loud thunder made him sense sounds again.

And so he could hear the cars dashing down the streets trough the rain, barking and honking.

He heard the rain again as it was pouring down on him.

And he finally felt the warmth of this August shower.

And as he could not stand the pain anymore, and as he could barely breathe, and as all the things he felt were too much to comprehend, he tried to collect them all in himself for one more second and then he just started screaming.

And he was sure that people would not mind. Because they would think that he laughed. They would think that he enjoyed himself.

But truth is: he just did not know anymore how to express his feelings properly.

And so he just screamed and laughed when all he really needed was to cry.

----

words: 513

----

If anybody is going to read this, I want you to know a few things!

1. Thank you! How'd you like it? I'm genuinely really curious how people like my work and I'm just a sucker for feedback.

2. Are there any grammar mistakes? Because if so, please let me know and I'll fix it, immediately.

So have a nice day everyone!!