Taking Olympus back Part 23

I picked myself off the ground and rubbed my neck, wishing the pain would subside.  I was sure that Hades had squeezed my neck so that there would be a red mark on it.  I became aware of the photographers again. Great, I thought sarcastically.  They no doubt captured everything that just happened.  

Back at the beginning of the red carpet a car pulled up, and out stepped Ares.  He wore a black suit with a red, silk tie.  His hair was neatly trimmed, and looked a little more playful than it usually did.  He scanned the area with those glorious eyes of his, getting bombarded by the paparazzi. His eyes wandered over to me,  as he gave me that amazing crooked smile he wore oh so well, and our eyes held each others.

However, as cute as Ares was and as much as I would have liked to, I resisted the urge to run over to him and hold him for the first time in what seemed like forever.  I resisted because I had the feeling that would place him in danger.  Hades was already mad at me for betraying him.  If he saw me with Ares, he would be furious. Not only at me, but at Ares as well. I'd have a bloodbath on my hands. Priority number one was keeping the two away from each other.

I broke the eye contact between us and strutted inside, hearing Ares calling "Athena!" after me.  As soon as I was inside Apollo ran up to me pulling me to the side, and gripping me by both of my arms, starring straight into my eyes.

"Athena, Artemis just told me what going on.  Hades was talking to some reporters, making it sound like you two planned a romantic get away and thats why you were gone." Apollo spoke fast, but clear and direct.  "Ares isn't here yet, but when he gets here I'll keep an eye on him.  What happened to your neck? It looks someone choked you. Do you want me to take a look at it?"

"I had a rough run in with Hades, thats all.  Ares is outside trying to get past the paparazzi.  That should take him a couple minutes or so.  Let Hades tell all the lies he wants to whoever he wants.  This will all be over soon."

Apollo studied me, nodding grimly. "Artemis told me about that, too. Hera, eh? Do you have a plan?"

I shook my head. "No, I haven't had a moment to think of one, not with all this new information. When I finalize one I'll fill you in.  Until then, will you and Artemis please do everything you can to keep Ares away from Hades.  The less he knows the better.  And also, keep your pocket projection phone on."  Apollo nodded, giving me a good luck tap on the shoulder and then walking towards Artemis, who was hovering behind Hades. Hades stood talking with Zeus and Hera, but Zeus was pulled away to talk with a couple of Nymphs. The conversation between Hera and Hades intensified now that Zeus was no longer around. Hades' eyes snapped up, catching me looking at the pair of them. He gave me a smirk and a wink before he turned back to Hera.

I sat a table thinking of a strategy, being anti-social to the people around me.  They carried out their own conversations, occasionally giving me confused or snotty looks.  If they thought I cared, they were wrong.  I had been through way to much to care if these rude, pampered, prissy 'high class' people talked about me.  Had they forgotten I held their futures in my hands? Perhaps it was the rumors swirling around about me that repulsed them.

After 10 minutes or so, I came up with a plan.  It was the only logical thing to do.

I had to tell Ares that I didn't love him, and then face destiny and go to the underworld with Hades.  It was the only way to make sure Ares was safe and maintain minimal casualties.  But what about them Romans? I'd have to fill Artemis and Apollo in to the whole story, rely on them for the most part to handle the Romans.  If and when war broke out, I could perhaps convince Hades to join in, that way I could fight, too. On such short notice, it was the best I could do.

A waiter with a tray of red wine passed by and I grabbed two.  Dousing one in one gulp, and then lifting the other one to my mouth, determined to drink it slower.  

I loved Ares more than words could describe at one time. And I loved him then without needing a charm.  I had loved his laugh, his smile, his personality. Everything about him was perfect at one time.  Even now, in the face of death, I loved him enough still that I would sacrifice my happiness to ensure that he was safe.  He didn't deserve any of this. Therefore he shouldn't have to pay.  This was my fate not his. It was justice.  He could live on.  Find another girl or goddess to marry.  Become a husband. A father.  Oh, Ares would be a great dad.  I longed for a future where I could Mother one of his children with him.  Maybe two kids.  Hell, maybe ten. But a future like that didn't exist for me.  Not with Ares at least. It was time I let that future go.

If Hades did decide to kill me... Well... what else could I do besides accept death.  If he choose to keep me in that cell until he wanted to play with me, I wouldn't fight him.  I wouldn't run. I wouldn't hide.  If I did, we would just run in more circles. Repeating the same situation again and again. A single tear rolled down my cheek.

I thought of the life Ares and I could've had together.  And now that was about to be taken away from me again. Once by Ares, once by a twist of fate I could've never imagined. I drank the second glass of wine.  Man, this stuff was powerful.  I was starting to feel woozy before the last of it slithered down my throat.

"Athena?"  A smooth, deep voice asked cautiously.

I breathed in a huge breath.  Time to get this over with.  I wiped a couple tears from my cheek and looked up to find Ares looking at me grimly. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, thats the end of the book! :D

JUST KIDDING! I WOULD NEVER DO THAT TO YOU GUYS!

I've already got the next couple of chapters written, but I'm holding them hostage until this chapter gets 35 votes or more. I will also be needing 20 comments.

I'd be happy to advertise your book in my book if you let me know who you are and what your books called. The catch? You have to advertise mine. K thanks!!! (:

VOTE/COMMENT! <3