06 | abandonment

06

abandonment

(A/N) Thank you so much for 200+ reads OH MY you guys are amazing!

I ran.

Unable to register how to react towards the sudden news, I bolted out of the library with Grayson running after me. However, after running straight for fifteen minutes, a feat my nerdy introverted self had never accomplished before, Grayson quickly realized that I was not going to speak to him and stopped chasing me.

I almost regretted my decisions when I saw his dejected appearance, his gray orbs swirling, clearly upset, as he whispered out a "Fae" before he walked back, his solemn shadow casting onto the snow crusted pavement as his shoes crinkled against the cold white blanket.

So I now sat on the public playground's swing, attempting to digest whatever information I had ingested.

My phone buzzed in my jacket as I took it out, slightly shivering as the sun begun to trickle down, welcoming the night in its daily ritual, the air becoming chillier.

Where are you? We're in the library but we can't find you. Grayson said that you ran, what happened?

Hazel texted me.

"We're distant cousins, very very distant cousins."

I recalled our conversation when I was still hospitalized, causing my blood to boil as a click went off in my head, my brain piecing together the information.

She knew, she was one of them. She was a werewolf, and she didn't tell me, her best friend.

Werewolves find their soul mates when they reach 16. Mates are a werewolf's counterpart and they have been paired specifically by their goddess, the moon goddess.

Recalling what I read in the library before I pulled a Houdini, I gasped aloud at the realization. Zachary and Hazel were mates; Zachary knew too.

My phone buzzed again as I let out a frustrated sigh.

Fae, where are you, you're making us very worried, is anything wrong?

Zachary texted.

I wanted to scream at him and tell him, yes, there was something wrong.

Wrong in the sense that my best friend never bothered to tell me what she was.

Wrong with the fact that the guy I thought as my older brother never told me what was wrong.

Wrong with the idea that the guy who I believed I was beginning to have a minuscule crush on was a fûcking werewolf that could rip me to shreds if angered.

Wrong with the entirety of how no one trusted me enough to tell me their identity.

I felt like a fool. Letting my walls come down as I told Hazel and Zachary what happened at home, letting my walls cave enough to allow my heart to beat exasperatedly quickly whenever Grayson was within sight's distance when no one even told me an inch about their lives.