Chapter Six - Escape

Start from the beginning

Henry, Alice, and Nightfire joined her on the ledge and stared at the magnificent sight in front of them.

It is beautiful, whispered Alice. 

A crystalline forest, I have heard of them from my mother. Nightfire told them. But I am afraid we cannot stop to admire it, the Qrill will be here at any moment. We need to go. 

Dotty looked back along the tunnel, she expected to see a swarm of the crab-things scuttling towards them. But for the moment all was quiet. 

Climb on my back it will be quicker if I carry you. Nightfire said.

They all clambered aboard the dragon clinging on to the fins that ran the length of its back. Nightfire launched himself off the ledge, swimming into the vast stone forest. He twisted and turned, skimming the very edges of the jewelled columns trying to put as much distance as possible between them and their relentless pursuers. He had tried going faster but knew he risked losing the children. Alice had nearly slipped from his back twice now, and he had been forced to slow down.

Dotty's mind was racing ahead. She hoped there was another way out of the cavern. If not, and the Qrill were guarding the only exit, then they were trapped. They could play hide-and-seek with the horde for a while, but sooner or later they would be caught. Worse still was the thought that Mirrorglow's magic might wear off soon and they would drown.

We will escape from these creatures, said Nightfire picking up on her thoughts. I can sense the currents that flow through these chambers. There is another way out. 

The dragon swam on, plunging ever deeper into the mass of crystal encrusted columns. Dotty risked a quick glance over her shoulder, nothing moved back there and for a moment, it looked like they may have managed to outrun their enemies. But suddenly she saw movement among the stone pillars.

The Qrill. 

Under the command of the large brutish chieftain, they had spread out and advanced swiftly. First one, then another appeared, springing from column to column. Claws finding purchase on the stonework they moved relentlessly forward. 

They are coming. Dotty cried out.

I see them, Nightfire snorted. This forest ends just ahead. If we can reach...  

A spear or an arrow flashed through the water near them. It was followed by several more, each one seemed closer than the last.

Then one of the warriors sprang from the shadows, a large bladed weapon sliced downwards. 

Hold on, Nightfire shouted twisting his body. 

Dotty tightened her grip as she was almost thrown off. The blade careened harmlessly off the heavy scales that covered the dragon's sides and he swung his tail at the Qrill. The thick barbs that covered the end stabbed deep into the creature's chest. With a flick, he sent the lifeless body crashing into a group of warriors that were moving to cut off their escape. For a moment, they scattered, leaving a gaping hole in their ranks.

The dragon used it to dive for the open water that lay beyond. Swimming as fast as he dared, his muscular tail and webbed feet driving him through the water.

There... Nightfire dived for the cavern floor. Dotty saw a shadowy opening in the rock wall; she hoped it was a way out, an escape route that led through the mountain.

They arrowed towards it. 

Behind them, the Qrill had regrouped. Once again the crab things sprang forward intent on dragging down the dragon. Spears and bolts hissed through the water beside them as the attackers tried to stop them reaching the shelter of the cave mouth.