Historical Events

The Cataclysm:

In 2108, for reasons unbeknownst to scientists around the globe, the earth's climate went haywire. Volcanoes erupted around the world leaving lakes of lava in their wake. The Yellowstone Caldera (a super-volcano) was the most devastating, wiping out two-thirds of North America. World temperatures rapidly rose, changing the jet streams, killing crops, and causing flash floods globally. Russia was the most seriously hit, its vast tundras turned into desolate swamplands. The world's megacities have been all but flooded or ravaged by war, turning them into ruins. The heat devastated the wildlife, turning much of the world to a barren wasteland. Some governments attempted to combat these effects, but most governments collapsed and societies fell into disarray thus ending modern life. There are only a few 'safe zones' around the world where the climate is temperate and few consistent natural disasters.

The Blackout:

To combat rising temperatures caused by "The Cataclysm", the Indonesian government desperately threw together a compound. The hope was that it would increase cloud cover in the area reducing the intense UVs raining down that were destroying the rainforests, leaving the lands inhospitable. Despite opposition from the scientists and engineers, the government had chosen to forego all testing. Immediately after completion, the compound was put into use. It was released in the jet streams and its effects were seen within the first few weeks. However, due an unforeseen change in the streams, the compound would not spread out to the surrounding areas. Instead, it kept cycling above most of Southeast Asia. Eventually, the cloud cover increased tenfold, blocking out all light and putting the area in perpetual darkness (See: Key Locations).