My Dorm Mate

Chapter Two

My Dorm Mate

As soon as the parents left the hall it became quiet again. I glanced around the hall at the students standing beside their heavy amounts of luggage all mirroring the same expression. Fear.

"Students, we will now begin setting you into your different classes, you will all be assigned to a specific teacher who will become your surrogate guardian during your stay with us" Mr lough proceeded to look cheerful as he turned around to the teachers standing behind him and gestured for them to walk forward.

They then proceeded to walk into the middle of the hall in an orderly line a little too close for comfort. They walked silently and graciously as it were no effort at all.

"I will call out your name and your teacher's, you will then go line up in front of your new guardian and they will proceed to take you and your class to their classroom" Mr Lough said as he pulled out a sheet of paper and started to read "Heather Acton to Mr Florentine ..."

Mr Florentine who had dark hair and a sharp ghoulish cheek structure raised his hand and Heather walked over pulling her suitcase on squeaky wheels behind her. Her cheeks where flushed with embarrassment as all eyes where clearly on her and she couldn't seem to control the wobble in her step. Mr Lough continued the call of students rattling of every name under the sun. It was clear however that it wasn't a large year, only six teachers stood in front of us with the same expressionless look. They are extremely hard to judge even Mr Lough with his charming bravado must be putting on a front, to live eternally must turn all of them a little crazy. If I had the heart to care I would pity them.

" ... Lailah Mask?!" A voice suddenly booms and I almost fall over in shock.

"Oh sorry!" I said admittedly before I could even consider thinking, Had I really blanked out for that long? "Yes that's me" I confirm feeling everyone's wide eyes on me. And they thought Heather had it hard!

Mr lough glares down from the front looking suspicious as her utters the words of my teacher "To Miss Delt please"

"Thanks" I mumble as I pull the handle of my suitcase up and walk over to the dark skinned woman whose lips are tight in a disapproving frown. No one's eyes leave me as I line up next to a skinny boy whose trembling in wide eyed shock as he looks at me. If this were a normal school everyone would have laughed, if this were a normal school I would of been labelled the spaced out blonde. But this is a vampire school and there is nothing normal about it.

Mr lough had continued his name calling and soon our class was completed. Twenty-two terrified kids in the arms of Miss Delt who still hasn't stopped glaring at me. She led us out of the hall through one of the double doors that opened into a foyer of two stairwells, a large intimidating grandfather clock sat between them and we followed her up the right. I struggled with my suitcase behind me, the stair corridor narrow and constricted, the walls painted an inconvenient dark red with the only light coming from the flickering gas lights attached to the walls.

We came up to a small corridor with two doors opposite each other. A sign above them both informed me these were some of the history classes.

"This is my classroom H1, I am the head of History " Miss Delt announced and swung open the hardwood door to the room and walked inside turning around to us with a sharp glare "You'll be expected to all join me here at the start of every term seven o'clock sharp after breakfast and before your first lesson, leave your luggage in the corridor outside and then come take a seat"

I set my suitcase and bag next to the wall next to the others and followed my classmates inside the History classroom. The classroom was quaint and small with interesting decor, the tables sat two to a desk and I found myself sitting towards the back. I sat alone and happily read the posters on the wall about our History, which I was already up to date with since I've been home tutoring myself since the Vampire Revolution. Mainstream schools were obliterated when I was seven after the infiltration of the Vampire Laws, parents and children too scared to attend and with little education available that's when the idea of 'vampire boarding schools' started to surface.