Audrey x Reader - I Don't Care (Part 2)

Pairings: Audrey Jensen x Reader
Warnings: Hospitals (?)
Word Count: 750
Note: I know the gif is of Auds in hospital rather than the reader but I just thought it was too cute.

-

The unambiguous smell of bleach was overwhelming. I winced and scrunched my eyes at the bright, offensive light that was uncomfortably slipping through my closed eyelids. My hand twitched as I strained to shift on the thin mattress beneath me, but that was it. I could not move my hand, head or body. I felt powerless. Weak.

My eyelids fluttered desperately, anxiously trying to open my eyes, but still remained closed.

Where am I? What happened?

As the blinding light gradually subsided, I peeled my eyelids open to glance at my surroundings. I was in hospital. Despite the pristine room, typical hospital bed, IV and monitors beeping, I couldn't help but think the unnecessarily bright white everything was cold and dull. The place looked nothing like a room where a patient should be motivated to get better. If anything, the depressing room was making me even more nauseous and determined to just fade away.

I was yanked out of my scrutinizing thoughts as the door to my hospital room slammed open.

Audrey.

She halted in the door way and just gaped at me with eyes wide and mouth opening and closing with unspoken words. Within seconds she was next to my bed and pulling me into a warm hug. I winced slightly at the sharp pain in my chest, but ignored it. I didn't care how much pain I was in as long as Audrey was holding me. I wrapped my arms around her waist and buried my head in her chest, inhaling her intoxicating scent that was just so Audrey.

"Hey," I whispered as she pulled away.

"Hey? Hey!? You get stabbed and almost die and all you have to say is 'hey'?"

"In my defence, I didn't mean to get stabbed," I grinned.

"God, you're insufferable."

"Incorrigible. Hardly insufferable considering you're still here."

Audrey shook her head, laughing as she sat on the edge of my bed, holding one hand whilst running her fingertips up and down my arm with the other.

"My god (Y/N), I'm so glad you're okay. Seeing you lying there, surrounded by blood I just-," she sighed deeply looking down at our entwined fingers, "you have no idea how much it hurt thinking you were gone."

"I know, I know, I'm so sorry," I murmured, reaching out to sweep her fringe from her face before lifting her chin up gently so she was looking directly at me. My eyes started to water at the sight of her distraught face. Nose red from holding back tears, eyes bloodshot and puffy and deep bruises underneath, no doubt from lack of sleep.

"Come here," I whispered, shifting to one side of the bed and holding out my arms as an invitation for her to crawl in to, which she accepted immediately. Moving the sheets, she lay down beside me, using the uninjured part of my chest as a pillow, as an arm draped itself across my waist. I kissed her forehead, lips lingering on her skin as I ran my fingers through the soft, short strands of her hair. My other hand trailed patterns across her back as we lay there in comfortable, soothing silence.

It was so quiet, I thought she had fallen asleep and I began to drift off when her gentle voice sounded again.

"I'm sorry. For everything. If I had known what was going to happen, I never would've told you I didn't care. I shouldn't have even said it in the first place. My anger was completely unreasonable and I was scared of what you thought of me after watching that video and I was so desperate for you not to be disappointed or hurt that I thought if I could just get you riled up, I-"

"No. You have nothing to apologise for Aud-"

"Yes, I do. I know you. And I especially know what you're like when you're angry. You're reckless. Which is probably the exact reason you got stabbed!"

"Audrey stop it! You had no idea what was going to happen, and I get it. You were angry and concerned. As was I. It happens. The only person to blame is the sick son of a bitch that is doing this to us. So just shut up and go to sleep."

I suppressed a grin as she buried her face in the fabric of my hospital gown, muffling a breathy laugh as she spoke again.

"You know you're dating a moron, right?"

"Yea, I figured that a while ago."