[prologue] Goodbye, Marinette

DISCLAIMER: heavily edited from original, some of the future chapters are older/poorly written
-

A common plot device is something with an extremelely rare chance of happening proceeding
to happen just for the sake of moving the plot forward. Unfortunately for Marinette, this time
it made her story come to a halt instead.

Marinette Dupain-cheng was merrily walking her way home after school, energy in her footsteps after being elected as the student with the kindest heart in a fun round of class elections. The streets were empty as night was setting in, so she could happily talk to Tikki without having to worry too much about  getting caught.

"I can't believe it, Tikki!" Marinette exclaimed, "They really think I'M the kindest student? That could have easily gone to someone like Adrien!"

Tikki shook her head, smiling at Marinette. "You deserve it, Marinette! You're the kindest, most hardworking, and purehearted person I know! Anybody who can see that would vote for you in a heartbeat!"

Marinette covered her cheek, blushing from getting flustered by such high praise. "And to think... even Adrien voted for me!" She gushed, seeming to be getting a bit distracted from the world around her.

"THE Adrien Agreste thinks I'm the nicest student in the...AH!"

Her scream was quickly followed by a thud as she hit the pavement, fortunately not face-first. Regardless, it still managed to startle Tikki. Though ladybugs are a symbol of good luck, that girl was awfully accident prone.

"MARINETTE! Are you alright?!" Tikki yelled, quickly dashing up to her. She wanted to help her up, but given the size difference there wasn't much the poor Kwami could do besides give a worried expression.

Marinette rubbed her leg where it hit the pavement, awkwardly laughing. "Don't worry, I'm alright! It was totally my fault for zoning out and not watching where I was going anyways... Ugh, I need to pay more attention."

"Don't be so hard on yourself Marinette! You were just really happy in the moment! Though you should be a biiiiit more cautious of your surroundings sometimes."

Marinette shook her head. "It's okay! I was so distracted by what happened I had completely forgotten, " she got herself off the ground and dusted herself off, "my parents had something they needed to tell me today! They said it was kind of big news, so I can only imagine what that would be..."

"Hm... Well they didn't specify if it would be good or bad right?" Tikki tilted her head.

Something about that question felt kind of strange, neither of them could've imagined what possible news they could have. Life was going pretty well for everyone. The bakery was doing well, all of Marinette's friendships were doing well, and they were closer to finding hawkmoth than ever! Not that Marinette's parents knew about all of that, but the point still stood.

"Well, I can possibly imagine it'd be bad. They probably just wanted to tell me about a busy week or something!" She giggled. "Though... they did seem a bit serious when they told me, but they do take their work pretty seriously!"

The rest of their way home was spent in silence, though not for long as Marinette's house was just a few minutes away.

Tikki flew into Marinette's purse as said purse-owner stepped into the dupain-cheng bakery. The buttery scent of croissants being baked and macarons just being pulled out of the oven immediately hit Marinette's nose. As the door slam shut, a feminine voice could be heard calling from upstairs.