2. CHAPTER: Sleeping Beauties on a Plane

"(Y/N)!!! (Y/N)!!! There you are, FINALLY!!!" I heard a girl's voice calling me when I finally arrived at the airport the next day. Suddenly I was caught in a fierce hug and almost fell over. "M-Mabel? Woho...good to see you!" I patted her back a bit awkwardly. I was never good at hugs.

She finally let me go only to grab my arm and pull me over to her family all waiting with their luggage ready for check-in.

"Well, hello there!" I greeted them, smiling a bit shyly. Both, Stan and Ford gave me a firm handshake and a warm smile.

"Great to see you, (Y/N), I hope everything's fine?" said Ford. His brother added: "Exactly! This will be a great journey, I can feel it!" More to himself he mumbled: "I hope they have a neat casino there on that cruise ship. It would be great to be able to spend the money I brought reasonably!" I told them everything was perfect and that I looked forward to the journey as well. In Stan's direction I added: "Well, I have at least heard that they indeed have a casino on board but I can't tell if it's good yet. Guess you'll have to find that out on your own."

Waiting behind his gruncles was Dipper who recently started acting kind of weird in front of me. I didn't know the reason and I had no idea of what was the matter but I was decent enough to not ask.

Four years ago, when we first met, he would've probably hugged me but now he was only stretching his hand out, seeming even more bashful than me. I grabbed it and he blushed a little.

"Well, here we go, we are complete." Said Stan, slightly nudging his brother with his elbow. Ford stated: "Indeed. Let's go or we'll miss our flight!"

When we all were sitting on the correct seats in the plane that was about to take us to Miami, I suddenly realized that I hadn't seen Bill the whole day. Did he actually change his mind about accompanying us? When I started imagining me being rid of him for twelve whole days I surprisingly didn't feel joyful at all. There was a yawning void inside my heart instead that I couldn't explain to myself. It just suddenly seemed wrong to not have him around.

Aww, Moonstone, don't tell me you've missed me already? I heard a familiar voice in my head. I rose my head only to stare into a familiar golden eye.

"B-Bi-", I wanted to yell his name but quickly cut myself off when Dipper, who was sitting beside me and reading a mystery novel, turned his head towards me. Ford, who was sitting next to Dipper and eagerly scribbling down something into his new journal, journal number 5, raised his head and looked my way as well.

"N-Nothing! I just thought I'd seen something strange on the seat in front of me." I told the two of them who then went back to doing what they were doing before my little almost-slip-up.

Bill?  I quickly repeated in my mind.

The one and only~, was the answer.

It took me a few seconds to come to terms with his sudden arrival, then I started talking mentally again: Well, I was already about to rejoice your absence on this journey, but you are a master in crushing hopes, aren't you?

I saw the blonde smirking. Well, that's the reason I decided to join you this way. It is much more fun~

I rolled my eyes and turned towards the window that was located right beside me. Screw off, Cipher, I have no nerves for you right now. Can't I just put you into a pet carrier and let you travel with the luggage, if I have to take you with me?

He started an uncontrolled laugh and suddenly shrank himself down to the size of one of my sneakers. He landed accurately on an armrest and took a bow while lifting his black top hat. Why don't you welcome me on board, Moonstone? This is going to be fun after all~ He sat down on the armrest and got comfortable.

I considered flicking him away with my fingers like an annoying insect but the plane started moving and I decided to rather look through the window. Watching the landscape moving faster and faster was just so much more interesting than his way too well-known face.

The flight took us several hours. Both, Dipper and Mabel – who sat right across the corridor where you could walk with gruncle Stan beside her, they were having a quite vociferous argument about what to wear in a casino – did never fly in their lives before. I on the other hand flew every year at least once, sometimes even twice or thrice. It was nothing special to me anymore, I even enjoyed it most of the time. Well, not all the time because Bill was there and he was constantly going on my nerves but I managed to ignore him as good as possible.

I played a card game with Dipper and Ford but lost epically since both of them were good at things like that and Bill was distracting me on purpose. It was fun anyway. Then we all together wildcatted about how the cruise would be and what we would experience.

After a while Stan and Mabel fell asleep when finally being tired of their argument. Dipper and Ford started playing some quite intricate game on their own and I read some passages from Ford's new journal.

I must have fallen asleep on my own because suddenly I heard a little voice inside my mind: Wakey, wakey Sleeping Beauty, we have reached our destination~

I immediately was wide awake and opened my eyes. The first thing I saw was Bill's shrunken face. He levitated right in front of me and I winced. My little cry awakened Dipper who asked being still drowsy: "W-What happened? Are we there?"

That again awakened Ford who took a look half asleep at the little screen attached to the ceiling of the plane. When he saw that we would land in about ten minutes he rushed to wake his brother and Mabel who got very excited.

She wanted to see us landing since she already missed the take-off. After five minutes of toing and froing I finally agreed to switch seats with her so that she was sitting beside the window.

Me and my new seatmate Stan talked a bit about what we would like to do first in Miami, then the plane finally landed.

In the chaos that emerged when all the passengers wanted to leave the plane at once I lost Bill out of sight. At that time I didn't really think about him since I got my handbag to look after.

When we arrived at Miami airport and finally left behind all of these security checks we were to wait for our luggage to arrive. That was the first time I realized the demon was missing again. Not that I was worried he might got lost – that would be a little off – but I started noticing that I always felt uncomfortable when he was not around.

I was not entirely sure if I had to worry about that but it was definitely odd at some point. I couldn't be missing him, could I?

When our five suitcases finally arrived I had to choke laughter. Bill was sitting on my bag, cross-legged and in his regular size and waving friendly towards us. Of course the others could not see him. I wanted to face-palm urgently but I chocked that back too.

Well, didn't you want me to travel with the luggage? He greeted me and lifted himself off the bag only to sit down on top of one of the two carts that we carried the suitcases with.

While letting himself being pushed by Stan, who was oblivious of that, he continued to ask me stupid questions.

Well, what will you guys do now? I mean, it's like 7 pm, will you already go to sleep? That would be neat because I would love to explore the city on my own. This is such a big city where so much chaos can be caused~

For one moment I considered if I should be worried about Miami, but then I decided that I couldn't care less this time. I was freaking tired and wanted to sleep so Bill could do whatever he wanted this time. I was not his watchdog, was I? And I was not responsible if he would throw the city or the whole world into turmoil. Not this time.

We took a cab to our small hotel in downtown and went to sleep. Dipper, Mabel and I shared one room while the two gruncles shared another.

I fell asleep during the first five minutes. And the others didn't take much longer.