Hope

"Those who do not believe in magic will never find it."

              All my spare time that wasn't used sleeping had been spent at the docks. I had become obsessed with this hazel eyed man and magical island. I knew this was crazy and that there was more than enough fingers pointing in the 'this is fake' direction. I was getting frustrated with not knowing if the island was real, or if I was wasting my time. I wanted to find this island and the hazel eyed man, but it had been seven days since I last saw him. My hope for finding the island was dwindling, but had I given up? No. I had not given up, not yet.

       I was coming up on two weeks since I came to Sorien. I had a job and a small appartment to stay in. I didn't have friends per say, but Mrs. Adora and her family kept me company. Never did she question why I was always at the docks, but something told me she already knew. I questioned myself why I went. It was obsessive of me. I had become so fixated on the idea that this island was real, that could I belong there and not be a freak. I had become fixated on the idea that I had a home.

       Seven days and counting since I had met the hazel eyed man. One day passed since I had met the mysterious lady. The locals knew exactly what was going on. They had saw me and saw the conversation held between the mysterious man and I. They had seen this a hundred times before and will continue to see it another hundred more.

       I was sitting at the end of the docks again wondering if I should ask around about the island more. I had been debating with myself most of the day on whether I should ask more about the island. I didn't know if I wanted to know more. I didn't know if I was scared of finding the island, or what I would find on the island.

       "You seem lonely." A soft and almost squeaky voice commented. "Come." She threw her head slightly to the side, motioning for me to follower her. Her was a woman with olive tanned skin and brown caramel doe eyes. She had black and blue hair that trickled down onto her shoulders. She had a muscular yet curvy build with many tattoos and was only an inch or so shorter than me at five feet, seven inches. She looked graceful but as she tripped on air that thought was thrown out the window.

       "Where are you taking me?"

       "Just down the docks," She smiled. "Nothing to worry about."

       "Why?"

       "You're looking for the island." It wasn't a question, it was a statement.

       "How'd you-" I started to say.

       "I hear everything. And there's a story going around about you."

       "Really?"

       "Really." She nodded. "Word has it that you're looking for the island. Island of Mysteries."

       "Mysteries? I thought it was witches."

       "Depends on who you ask." She shrugs."The island is a mystery, isn't it? No one can find it. No one knows if the island is real. No one knows if there are people living on it and no one knows what kind of people would live on it. It's a mystery."

       "Makes sense." I chewed on my lip then asked, "If no one can find the island or the people on it, then why do they believe there are people out there protecting their home? Why are there so many stories?"

       "Hope. They needed a source of hope I guess. The island is a beacon of hope and happiness."

       "But how has this beacon of hope carry on for so many decades?"

       "Hope is a powerful thing. Think about it, Amy... Don't you have any hopes and dreams that keep you going?" She looked at me as we slowly walked the docks. "Perhaps you have hope that the island is real? Hope pushes a person to fight for things, to be happy, and to believe that there is some kind of good in the world. Who am I, who are we, to take that away from these people? To take away their safety blanket?"

       "How do you know my name?" I stopped, looking at the woman in front of me fiercely.

       She giggled and turned to look at me fully. "You're not denying it. You hope that the island is real, you hope that there is a place that you could belong to. A place that your heart can call home."

       "Look lady-"

       "It's okay," The odd woman cut me off. "The island has an effect on people, it makes them question things more so than usual. The story is made of hope, but the real deal makes you question the reality you're living in. It makes you question if things are really what they seem. Don't tell me you haven't noticed anything strange."

       Of course I've noticed a few things while traveling but never gave it any thought. I try to be the logical person in any case.

       "I must be off now, but remember you have to find the courage to find the island or the island won't find you." She giggled once more and walked off leaving me speechless.

       What was happening to me? Was imagining this, the people? So many questions ran through my mind trying to make sense of my recent events.

       Did I hope the island was real?

       The doe eyed woman wasn't the only weird encounter I had today. I had met another person, a woman with vibrant and rich red hair that was thrown up in a messy bun with a pencil sticking out. She was brown eyed with a slight tan and stood at five feet and six inches. She had smiled at me and introduced herself as Katya.

       "I've been told you're looking for the island." She said to me. Katya had invited me for dinner at a small diner in town.

       "Oh yeah?" I scoffed in annoyance. "You and everyone else it seems. You here to tell me some scary story or some riddle that sounds like a two year wrote it?" I was feeling hostile. This nonsense, the mind games, was all starting to annoy me.

       "Damn right I am."

"At least you're honest."

       "That I am." Katya nods and takes a sip of her water. She was wearing blue jean shorts and a purple button up short sleeve shirt. From a distance you wouldn't be able to tell she had scars of any kind, but examining her arms proved that she did in fact have such imperfections. The remnants of old wounds that were well taken care of.

       "Listen," She went on. "This isn't going to be easy, for you or me. When the island was created it had been made so that those looking for it couldn't find. That is if the island didn't want to find you. That's the thing about the island, it itself is magic, right down to the core. When the founders asked the deities to give them a home, they also asked for it to become a beacon for those with magic. You're here looking for the island because you have a hidden power, you have magic in your core. Something is coming and we need every hand in this if we want to make it out unscathed."

       "I have magic? Do you even hear yourself? This is crazy!" I scoffed at the statement. "Magic doesn't exist."

       "You need to shut up and listen to me Amelia," Katya snapped. "The waters you will sail are dangerous. This is a test of your bravery and how well you use your magic. Judging from your attitude you'll get lost so you better have a compass. And you better pray to someone that you don't die." She got up from her chair and told me, "Dinner's on the house."

       I sat back in my chair long after Katya left. I gave thought to what she told me and wondered if finding the island was something I truly needed to do. If I had magic maybe these people could tell me how to use it. But what if I got lost or killed trying to find the island? Would they take me in like an old friend in need of help? Would they let me stay?

       So many questions ran through my mind, but a phrase, the phrase stood out to me. The path you seek lies within you. You must muster enough courage to find it yourself. Only then when will it find you. I was scared of the whats and ifs of the Island, but I knew I had to find the island.

       First things first, I needed a boat.