161

the day passed that way, dan avoiding phil at all costs and phil sneaking glances at him every chance he gets. it was slightly maddening, the fact that dan would smile properly in front of his parents but just be completely silent when they were alone. he hated that the mood shifted drastically whenever they were remotely unattended, and he hated that even though dan was acting a bit normal now, nothing was normal between them.

phil's dad came home by dinner time, and greeted dan just like his mom did, hugging the lean boy and patting his back occasionally.

dan felt loved and kind of accepted, in this unfamiliar place more than he ever did in his own house, with his own parents. they talked like any other family at the dinner table, discussing about phil's childhood antics and what he had missed while was away. they talked about how his older brother, martyn is doing abroad, and how he had just visited a few months back.

it was kind of surreal, how everyone seemed to gel together, and there was no awkward pauses in their conversation. dan would laugh occasionally at something phil's dad said and they all would discuss everything comfortably, like dan had been here thousands of times.

it was after dinner when phil's parents decided that dan and phil, both needed some space, telling them that they could dismiss themselves now and go to phil's room to watch a movie or sleep if they are tired.

dan dreaded it.

he had been avoiding phil the whole day and now being alone with him will just be awkward. he could feel the tension between them when they climbed up the stairs and phil flicked the lights on, in the hallway. he pushed open the door, leading both of them inside and closed it behind him, awkwardly standing at the door frame while dan took a seat, hesitantly on the bed.

"um, do you, do you want to watch a movie or play video games or something?" phil scratched the back of his head nervously, and dan tilted his head slightly to look at him.

"not really, um, can i just sleep?" he mumbled, not wanting to spend time with phil as he was still feeling uncomfortable. they can't just pretend everything is completely fine between them and start playing video games all of a sudden, how fucked up would that be?

"alright, well, um, i'll sleep in martyn's room then because well, yeah," phil stuttered, slightly hurt by the fact that dan was not acknowledging any of the efforts phil was making to get them back to being remotely normal. he just quietly grabbed a shirt, and looked at dan one last time before making his way out.

--
there will be a double update x
things will get better☺️