Chapter 1

EMILY

I figured I had the worst luck ever. I had juust passed the field exam and became a shield agent less than two days ago, I was also only twenty which made me one of the youngest members of SHEILD, and I was already taking part in a level four emergency evacuation of the main SHEILD headquarters. Generally I was fine with all the evacuation drills we had to practice during training but with the voice over the speakers repeating that "All agents proceed with emergency evacuation. This is not a drill" I was definitely freaking out.

I was helping three agents with some of the equipment when my pager came to life. The message read "Agent Emily Grace, Director Fury wants you down at the lab immediately." The lab. I had absolutely no idea where it was. Helplessly I looked around till I caught sight of Agent Coulson, one of the few agents who I was familiar with. I got his attention and called him over. "The director wants me down in the lab. How exactly do I get there?" I asked him.

"The lab?" he asked looking slightly shocked. I found that really weird because very few things can shock Coulson. "Are you sure that's what he said?" he continued. I nodded and showed him the page which I had received. Looking a little more surprised he led me to an elevator, the elevator I was told to steer clear of because wherever it led was above my pay grade, and swiped a security card. "Take this lift down to the lab" he said. "And be careful" he added before walking off.

Before I could enter the elevator I had to go through three separate security scans- a fingerprint scan, a DNA test and a retinal scan to confirm that I was an agent. After all the scanners confirmed that I was Agent Emily Grace, the doors silently slid open and I stepped in. There was no control panel but I figured that the elevator had only one destination. As the doors automatically closed I pushed a strand of my black hair if my face while wondering what the Director could possibly want with a rookie like me.

As I reached the lab level, I could hear two people arguing a little distance away. One voice I recognized as one my mentors Agent Hill. The other voice was definitely a male so I safely assumed that it was the Directors. I walked down the stairs and turned the corner to see the Director and Agent Hill facing each other. "Is that really a priority right now?" Hill said. Hill was probably the only person who could argue with the Director.

"Until a time comes when the earth stops spinning we will act as though it intends to spin on!" replied Fury almost yelling. "I want all Phase 2 equipment on a truck and out of here." He ordered. "Yes sir" replied Hill reluctantly and walked of taking two agents with her.

The Director was about to walk away when he sensed my presence and turned around. He saw me standing at the bottom of the staircase and I froze under his stare

"Agent Grace" he said.

"Sir" I replied, wondering how the hell fury knew my name. "I received a message that you wanted to see me.

"Yes I need help evacuating all the scientists from the lab and safely removing them from the premises"

"But sir, me?" I asked him, shocked that he would ask a rookie to do such an important job.

"Yes." he said sharply. "I need someone who they trust and since your mother was actively part of the initial tesseract project I'm quite sure all the people in the lab will trust her daughter. Now follow me Agent."

Still surprised I followed Fury to the lab. The sudden mention of my mom brought about many depressing and painful memories like her disappearing for days on end for missions or the times when she home sometimes extremely bruised or injured. But the worst memory it brought out was the day she left for a mission in New Mexico saying that she would be coming home soon but died along with four other agents facing a machine called The Destroyer.

I was so lost in thought that I didn't notice that we had entered a larger room until I almost walked into the Director who had abruptly stopped in front of me. I noticed a short balding man approach us.

Fury turned to the man. "Dr Selvig," he said. "What is the situation?"

"The Tesseract is, ah, active" replied the doctor. "Follow me" he said and started walking towards his computer. Whatever was on it must have been highly classified because before he followed the doctor, Fury ordered me to stay where I was until I received further orders.

I was looking at all the complex equipment when I noticed that Agent Barton had joined Fury and Selvig. He must have also seen me because when I looked in his direction he gave me a small wave. Clint and I had become good friends during my training because he would come down to the training room a few times each week and teach the recruits how to shoot. He had tried to teach me how to shoot with a bow a few times but we both pretty soon found out that I was much better with knives. Thinking about that I absently ran my hand over the hilts of all my 8 of knives that were attached to my belt.

"It's spiking again doctor." one of Selvig's assistants called out. I spun around on my heel when suddenly the Tesseract threw out a massive bolt of energy and even from a meter away i was blown of my feet.

Authors Note: Please review. I would really like to know what you think of the first chapter. I have my board exams up in a few months so I will continue only if I get 4 or more reviews.