End of the Road : Part 1

SYMPHONY P.O.V

To witness self-destruction, to see it unfold right before you and have absolutely no idea how to stop it is a gut wrenching feeling. I watched as Chris turned into a cold hearted monster with no love for anyone. His love for himself and Chris Jr. faded away once we lost London. When she left she left a hole in all of our hearts and although we had Chris Jr. to fill it, something inside of us all still longed for his creator. We missed her million dollar smile, the way she laughed at everything, the way she forced us to do whatever she set her mind to and most of all, we missed her presence. The way she would walk into any room and turn it up, her presence was truly a gift.

Planning her funeral is the hardest thing I have ever done, next to saying goodbye. To know that in a few days your best friend will be laid to rest is something I could not get my mind wrapped around. I know she's gone but I'm still waiting on her "gotcha' hoe" text. I still haven't received it and it's been two weeks. When is London going to walk in my house asking for food? When is she going to call me and ask me to cook her Shrimp Alfredo? When is she going to fight with Chris about the baby's room? When is she coming back? I know I'm not supposed to question God but why? Why did she have to leave me so early? Why does Chris have to grow up without his mother and father? Why is God putting this battle onto us? Why? Why? Why?

Today is the final day of funeral planning and we haven't gotten as much accomplished as I would like. Her mother, Jeraldine, is flying in for her funeral and I can't say I'm excited. As a young girl, London experienced a lot. Much like myself but a little worse and her mother allowed it to happen as she continued to have more children. She hated London with a passion and reminded her with any chance she had.

Michael and I waited as she walked outside of the airport. Her face showed no signs of being bothered nor did she attempt to put on a front. She was perfectly fine. She stared at me through her dark sunglasses, waiting for me to greet her.

"Hey, Jeraldine" I said as I smiled fakely and wrapped my arms around her. She never embraced me but lazily slung her arms over mine. She stayed there momentarily and then quickly pushed me away while leaving her bags for me to carry.

"How are you dear and who is this?"

"I'm doing well and this is my boyfriend Michael"

She stared at Michael for a quick second and then entered the backseat of the car. She noticed Chris Jr. car seat on the left of her and peered through her sunglasses at him in disbelief.

"This is London's baby?" She asked quietly, never looking away from him.

"Yeah, he made it. He wasn't supposed to but God brought him through it" I smiled as I stared at Chris Jr. His angelic face always brought me peace no matter the situation. Maybe that was the reason God put him in my life.