3: Why Am I Here?

Blackgate Penitentiary.

The place of scum. The security here was cruel, and the people here were complete and utter psychopaths. The type of psychopath who couldn't be bothered with mental trivia such as a conscience, the type of psychopath that served a life sentence until they inevitably died in an altercation in this crappy prison.

Most crazies were sent to the Asylum plenty of times before being thrown into the slammer. I hadn't even been in the Asylum once, just came straight here, which made zero sense. Take Joker for example. Always the Asylum, plenty of times has he gone there, but I had never really heard of him going to prison. It seemed like the last resort, since the type of people who came here were beyond any sort of intervention.

But then again, who thinks of Joker as curable?

It must have not been the insanity of someone that got them here, but what they did, and who they pissed off.

I must have done some messed up crap to be put in this place, because I didn't "belong" here. I belonged in the looney house like all the other supervillains of Gotham.

The only people who ended up here were the mafia or the criminals who did unforgivable crimes, and who fucked with the wrong political powers. The criminals whose insanity was completely ignored, the criminals who people wanted to hide from reality and stuff in the box and forget about.

Some of these people here weren't mentally sick, they did what they pleased and held no conscience. They just killed to get what they wanted, and that was that. They didn't wear capes and hold an alter-ego to murder and steal like the supervillains.

Maybe that's what made us supervillains look insane to the world. The fact that we dress up and become this other person to become infamous and ruthless and take over the world.

The criminals here were considered normal compared to us.

But I knew for a fact I'd rather be in the cell with a supervillain than the criminal I was currently roomies with. I hadn't met someone who made my skin crawl like this gal did.

I had a cell with a girl who looked like she was waiting until I was asleep to rip the skin off of my body. She looked insane, as she was bald where she had ripped out her own hair, patches of skin that looked sore and itchy, along with the remaining patches of blonde hair that were only about a few centimeters long.

From the looks of it, she came in here bald and when her hair started to grow out, she tried to stop it. She probably wanted to remain bald to show the insane tattoos on her skull. She had a giant swastika on the back of her head, and had a cross tattooed on her bottom lip right in the center, and her eyes were tattooed red around her irises. With her dark brown, nearly black eyes, it made her look like a devil's spawn. She had black tears tattooed dripping from the outer corners of her eyes. She had at least five per eye. I couldn't tell, because I tried my best not to make any sort of eye contact with her.

It was my first few minutes in this cell, and I couldn't shake her stares from across the square, concrete room. I could just imagine how things would be like when I finally had the courage to use the toilet in the cell, giving us zero privacy or dignity from each other and basically putting me on a stage as I used to lavatory.

I was still trying to figure out how the hell I was placed in this jail instead of Arkham Asylum. No girlfriend of the Joker's could be counted as sane.

But then it couldn't be sanity or the level of crime that determined where you went. But it surely wasn't randomized.

Maybe I was just the unlucky person who lost the villain lottery.

A loud sound at the front of the cell made me and swastika girl turn our heads. A guard had a baton against the cell gate, grinning at me with a glint in his eyes.

"Penguin says hi, and he hopes you have fun here." He let out a dark laugh, then turned and left. My cell mate turned to me with an expression other than angry. She was surprised. We made eye contact for a brief second before I ripped my gaze away.

So that's what I did.

I pissed off the Penguin for something I didn't even do.

I clenched my fists.

Joker put my here.