Chapter 27

Charles slowly turns to me and points his finger at Cana. 

"Is this... The small puppy you had before?"  He asks. 

I'm too far away to see his facial expression but I'm pretty sure it's either really surprised or terrified.

-shhhiiiiiiiitttttttt-

"Umm... I can explain its just that..."  I quickly try to think up of an explanation as to why my small puppy has turned into an oversized wolf that's fur coat is made of fluffy metal.

He turns back to Cana as I try to think of a way to say it and not give away my strength or the fact that Cana should not be this powerful.

"Ah, this is a beast illusioner!  You used it to make your pet seem like a different type of beast!"  He says while touching the collar at Cana's neck. 

Cana growls slightly at the word 'pet'  but other than that seems fine with the fact that he is touching her. 

"Uhh...  Yeah it is..."  I reply slightly confused.

-I didn't know that people could recognize what the collar did immediately... That may cause some issues...-

He looks back over at me. 

"Did you catch it yourself or buy it? It's amazing that a wild beast could get this size, it must have a very high level!" He asks curiously and moves closer to Cana but then stops and moves back a bit.

"Sorry I got excited and forgot what I was originally here for..." He turns back towards me and looks down at the ground.

"I- I'm so so so sorry that I mistook you for a girl and refused to be roommates with you!" He says and does a bow, like what the Japanese would do when apologizing.

-never thought I'd actually see someone bowing like that...-

"It's fine, I get mistaken all the time and it's starting to bug me a bit less." I reply and move closer to him.

-it's probably not a good thing that I'm used to it though-

"However..." I start and step in between Cana and him, "Cana is my partner. Not some wild beast to be auctioned off."

I step even closer so I'm now directly in his face.

"And if you ever refer to her as an 'it' or 'pet'..." I let out a very weak killing intent, just to get him to listen.

"Y o u w i l l r e g r e t i t ." I say my face now so close our noses almost touch. 

I quickly back off after I say it and turn around and do a little wave.  "I'm going to go get our room cleaned up, see you tomorrow!" 

As I say that Cana bounds over to me and turns her head close to her body that way she hits the button on her collar.  She starts shrinking and her fur becomes fluffier. 

In the middle of her transformation, when she's about the size of a large dog, she arches her neck up to me and licks my cheek. I could feel her happiness at what I said.

-hmmm, I wonder if I could do teleportation...-

As we walk back into the forest that we just came out of, I close my eyes and imagine the hospital room with my father in it. Then I use up a little bit of my mana. I do this for a few seconds.

-I feel nothing different. Well, guess that didn't work out.-

I continue walking and open my eyes.  I plant my feet on the ground the moment I see what's around me. I almost walked into a plain white bed, the mattress so thin it must be uncomfortable on your back. The tiles beneath my feet are also pure white and give off the smell of artificial oranges this time.

-well hush my mouth, I guess it did work-

I glance up from my feet and see the person in bed. He eyes closed and breathing steady, but weaker than usual.

"Still asleep, huh dad..." I whisper to him a small smile growing on my face.

"Hurry up and get better so you can show off your sword techniques again, ok?" I ask as I playfully punch his arm, causing it to move closer to his body.

He doesn't respond, and his arm tries to go back to its previous position but it ends up falling off the mattress instead.

I feel Cana rub up against my leg like a cat and move towards the bed. She sniffs dad's hand and then licks the top of his fingers. She looks slightly upset when he doesn't move in response. She then nudges his hand and moves it onto the top of the mattress again.

I let out a little laugh and rub Cana's head. "Hey dad, it seems that you got Cana to like you even though you only knew her for a day..."

-just like you did with most people-

I stay in the room for a couple more minutes, tidying up everything, throwing out the type of flowers somebody put on his bedside that always made him sneeze, and checking the nurses notes that she conveniently left behind.

-I guess I should probably teleport out of here. It would be hard to explain how I got in here without going through the whole signing in and getting disinfected process.-

I close my eyes and concentrate on the edge of the woods near the school.

-Wouldn't want to randomly pop into a crowd of people like the principal did. I don't really feel like making an entrance right now-

I open my eyes and see the surroundings I pictured in my head moments before all around me.

-this skill will definitely be useful for getting around, and maybe for battles if I can train to do it without closing my eyes.-

I step out of the forest and into the clearing that ceiling principal had given his little speech. He said that I was roommates with Charles but he didn't say where our room was.

I start to walk towards the direction of the buildings but freeze mid step when I see Cana beside me.

-wait.... did i tell Charles not to tell anyone about Cana?-