Chapter 1: Dan and Phil

"Son, you haven't forgotten anything?" My dad says as I heave my last bag into the trunk of my Mitsubishi.

"No, I don't think so, father." I look up, trying to recall if I left anything in my room. My younger brother, who is twelve, rushes up to me and sweeps me in a bear hug. Startled, I jump, but lean into the hug afterwards. "I'll miss you Dan!" He whispers, nestling his chin on my chest. "I'll miss you too, Adrian. Don't do anything I wouldn't do. And don't forget to feed the cat."

"I won't! Good luck at college!" He lets go and bounces toward my dad. Always so bubbly, my brother is. Never a dull moment with him. Now it's my father's turn to hug me. "Look at you, my seventeen year old son, off to college."

"Dad, it's not like I haven't been to college before," I say, laughing as well. This coming year will be my second year of college. I graduated secondary school two years ago as valedictorian of my class. Believe me, when my classmates found out that I was top of the school, they were very upset.

"Still, college life can be very dangerous. I was surprised when you came home last summer and you were still a virgin."

"Dad!" I moan, pushing away from my father, embarrassed. "University isn't like it was thirty years ago when you went."

"Nonetheless, son. Make sure you don't stay out too late, remember to call, and always do your homework before you do anything else."

"Yes, dad, now, I'm gonna be late for registration if I don't hurry up, so I gotta go!" I lean into my car's driver seat and put on my seatbelt. My father stoops in and kisses my forehead. "May the lord be with you, son."

"You too, dad." I close the car door and roll down the window. "I love you both!" I yell, and start the car. I let my foot press on the gas as I drive with one hand and wave through the open window with the other. I take one last glance through the side mirror at my family. Mocci has jumped into Adrian's arms, but he was still waving regardless. My father looks proud, and I'm filled with a determination to ace this year's courses, no matter what the cost. My father and brother shrink into the horizon, and I plug my phone into the outlet. Gospel music starts playing from my car's speakers as I drive the two hours to college.

**Three Hours Later**

I let my last bag slide of my shoulder and onto the floor of my dorm. I flop onto my creaky bed, sweat beading on my hairline. "Whew," I say, "that was a lot of work. And you didn't help me one bit." I look over to my roommate, Henry, who laughs. "You only had seven bags, you're fine."

"But they were heavy bags!" I exclaim, smiling at my roomie. "Whatever," he says, still laughing. I get up off of my cover, which is decorated with pink polka dots, and set up my camera in the corner of the room. "Oh, you're gonna vlog again?" Henry says from his bed, leaning on the white brick wall behind him.

"Well, yeah," I say, fiddling with the tripod. "I didn't do it all summer, and I promised my subscribers I'd start again in the fall."

"What, all ten of them?" Henry jokes. "Ha ha, very funny," I remark, screwing in the camera to the tripod. "There, all set," I say.

I actually didn't know how many I had since I went on hiatus. I didn't check because my father would never allow something like this to happen under his roof. He thinks the Internet is for lazy people who don't want to get up to go to the library or pick up an encyclopedia. But ever since Henry showed me the amazing site that is YouTube, I've begun to think different. And thus, Danisnotonfire was born.

Last I checked, I had about 75 subscribers or so. I pull out my computer meant for schoolwork and pull up my profile.

"Holy cow!" I yell, and beckon Henry over. "Look at this!"

I had 364 subscribers.

"Woah, man, I seriously didn't think you'd get this popular," Henry says, in awe. "You'll have to do a collab with me, to boost my followers."

I push him lightly, laughing. "I better make a vid right away, to thank them. And to tell them Danisnotonfire has returned!"

☆✧Phil✧☆

I lean into my chair and prop my legs up on the table. I grip my beer as I raise it. "A toast," I say, "to the return of the Dragons, and to a new school year to break more rules!"

My boys hoot, pounding their fists on the table and stomping their feet. Beer sloshes onto the polished wood in celebration. The people around us stow nasty looks at us, but we don't care. We get them all the time.

Shane thunks his bottle down and puffs. "Hey, who's your roommate?"

"Eh, I think some wimp from Edinburgh. Think I scared 'em half to death. Never had a beer in his life!" The table shares a round of laughs, and I smile a little too. A shadow forms over my head and I look up to see my girlfriend, who is carrying a platter of meals for the table over. She leans in and whispers, "Hey, keep it down alright? The patrons are getting pissed off and who's gonna be responsible? I mean, come on, I saved you and your lot's asses like what, three times now from being kicked out? Turn it down a notch, okay?"

Louise arches her back and looks at me with her livid eyes. Her pink lips were closed but I so wanted to leap out of my chair and jam my tongue between the gap in her teeth. I resisted my urge and nodded. "Okay, Louise. Thanks for letting me know."

She gave a shake of her head, her fuchsia hair bouncing with the movement and went to serve the other table their dinner. I turned back to my mates and shushed them. They all stared at me like I just dyed my entire head blonde and I shot them an "I'll kill you if you don't quit" look. They then exchang glances and go back to their conversations. Shane's expression showed a mix between confusion and something I couldn't register. I was about to speak up before he blurted out, "What was that all about?"

"Louise is worried about us disturbing the customers again. We might be ready for the world, but apparently the world isn't ready for us."

"Ahh, I get it."

I lean forward in my chair and push my feet. Now standing, everyone looks at me again. "Hey guys, I gotta go unpack back at the dorm. See you later."

I give a wave to Louise and leave the bar. A lit cigarette in hand, I take the mile walk home one step at a time.