PROJECT L.E.L., -Year 20

Start from the beginning

“And what course will you take?” Michael asked.

“A Doctorate!”

“That was a fantastic lunch. You can’t beat home cooking.” Michael smiled at Belinda as he put his chopsticks down.

Thank you. I’m glad you enjoyed it.” She replied. “Do you want some fruit?”

“No thank you. I’m full.” Michael commented as he looked past her watching the ferryboat travel across the harbour to Devonport. Then he added, “You have an amazing view from here!”

“Yes it is, but I don’t know for how long.” She whispered cautiously “Tom and I had a huge argument last night!”

“Are you alright?” Michael questioned looking at her intently.

“Yeah. It was verbal not physical – but it scared me!”

Michael looked at her and probed, “Why did you come to New Zealand?”

‘I followed my boyfriend from China – gave up a good job in a bank and came to New Zealand!” she smiled wistfully.

“And?”

“We broke up six months later!” she gushed. “And I didn’t have a job!”

“So what did you do?”

“I moved in with Tom.”

“So you’re telling me that straight after the break up you moved in with Tom?” Michael (  questioned ‘Yep! “Belinda gave a sheepish grin.

“Here in New Zealand we call that a ‘rebound relationship’ where you jump from one relationship into another – without thinking. I know, I’ve done it myself!” Michael grinned. “So you want to move again?”

“Yes.” She nodded, seeking his approval.

“You, young lady, have what I call the ‘BIIIGS or B triple I G Syndrome’!” Michael observed.

“What?” Belinda questioned, her face screwed up in mock concern. “What’s the ‘B triple I G syndrome’?”

“’BIIIGS’ is short for  ‘Beautiful – Intelligent – Independent – Insecure – Girl – Syndrome!”

“So what’s it like having a twin sister?” Jenny asked during a pause in the lunch with Belinda and Michael..

“It’s great!” Belinda responded quickly. “We talk on QQ every night!”

“Where is she now?” Michael inquired.

“She’s in Germany – with her boyfriend. She’s got a good job and they are planning to get married soon!” She gushed.

“Wow! You have both left your home country and have or, in your case, had non Chinese boyfriends.”  Michael observed. “Is that normal in your country Jenny?”

“No it’s not normal in China or elsewhere I think.” Jenny’s reply raised a doubt about Belinda’s situation.

“They are coming here soon.” Belinda continued, overlooking Jenny’s reply. “It is difficult for them to get married in China or Germany as there are many complications and residency issues.”

“Coming here?” Jenny questioned.

“Yes they are coming here and maybe they will get married as it is easier in New Zealand.”

“Well that is unusual, to say the least.” Michael commented, and then teased her. “Why don’t you make it a double wedding?”

Both girls laughed and Jenny commented. “You have to keep up with your twin, you know!”