Accident [One-shot]

"Once I was seven years old, my momma told me, 'Go make yourself some friends or you'll be lonely.'" Izak sang softly to himself as he quickly and almost effortlessly prepared a Veracruz-style red snapper.  "Once I was seven years old." He liked to sing while cooking, because when he sang, he actually almost sounded American. It was fascinating to him, but he had to keep his voice down. He didn't want to have to deal with his coworkers overhearing him sing; as if he didn't feel anxious enough around them.

"It was a big big world, but we thought we were bigger," He continued, laying out the red snapper on the cutting board, grabbing a butcher's knife from his stainless steel collection, "pushing each other to the limits, we were learning quicker." With a quick, forceful motion, he brought the thick blade down, separating the head from the rest of the body. "By eleven, smoking herb and drinking burning liquor. Never rich, so we were out to make that steady figure." He placed the butcher's knife to the side, before grabbing out a second knife, specifically designed for craving around the small bones of a fish, "Once I was eleven years old, my daddy told me, 'Go get yourself a wife or you'll be lonely.'" He placed the knife on the cut section of the snapper and sawed towards the tail skillfully, using the backbone as a guide, "Once I was eleven years old."

He continued slicing, when suddenly, a voice yelled out behind him,  "WHY? WHY DO YOU ENJOY TAKING THAT POOR CREATURE APART?"

Izak jumped, causing the knife to slip and slice the thumb of the hand that had held the fish in place. He gasped, instantly lurching back so the food would not be contaminated by the blood, but out of safety, he knew he would just have to throw the fish away now. "Mój Dieu, Winter, why would you shout like that when I cannot see you?" He said in a slightly shaky voice, running his hand under water, causing the bottom of the sink to turn red.

"Dio mio, Izak, I didn't mean to scare you. I just- ugh, avventato! You are a chef, you use knife all the time- that was così idiota of me." Winter panicked, her voice changing from frustration to guilt as she grabbed the First Aid kit on the wall, next to the fire extinguisher. Even though she kept her distance from the fish on the counter, she walked up behind the Pole, peering over Izak's shoulder, concern glinting in her amber eyes. "Are you okay though? Wow, that's actually a bit of blood... Maybe we should tell Wren?" She fretted, similar to how a mother would. 

"No, I can't stop cooking. I'll just put a couple gloves over it and go to the hospital after I clock out." He explained as he flipped open the First Aid kit, taking his thumb out of the water and wrapping it gauze tightly and thickly with gauze. His usually nervous brown eyes were know blank with fierce concentration. He grabbed the gloves and slid them onto his hand.

"Oh, Izak, I'm really so sorry. I shouldn't have shouted when you were cutting the fish. I just get intense about that stuff, you know?" She explained, pressing her hand to her forehead, "Ah, sono così stupido. I just- I feel so awful about it. Can I drive you to the hospital after work?" She offered.

"Really, Winter, don't worry about it." Izak reassured her, becoming rather uncomfortable now with the amount of attention he was receiving. "I can't tell you how many stitches I've gotten on my hands over the years."

"UGH, I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE I DID THIS!" She exclaimed, throwing her arms around Izak and pulling him into a hug. "I swear I'll never be that stupid again I never meant to hurt you you know how I get about meat and stuff I feel very strongly about it but now you're hurt because I acted out and you're just so forgiving and I can't even I feel my mouth moving right now words just keep coming out-"

"Winter, r-really, we should get back to-to work." Izak stammered, his face flushing at the physical contact.

"Okay, just- I'm sorry. Let me know if you need anything. I'll be back to check on you later." She promised, giving him one last squeeze before walking back off into the dining room of the restaurant.

Izak attempted to steady his breathing, smoothing out his white uniform, his face still pink. "I'm gonna put a bell on that door so I can hear it open." He whispered to himself. "These waiters are something else."