ch.41

Darcy silently skulked upstairs and put her dress away without daring to protest. Harry sighed loudly. I rested my hand at his chest and he took a deep breath. Darcy worried him. Des' grades and fights at school worried him. J.D.'s meek reticence worried him. And Farah scared him because she was a mini me and he was already in over his head trying to protect me that cherishing the rest of our family was going to drive his heart to cardiac arrest. God forbid.

Hell, he even thought about Lux, whom he saw and treated as a daughter. Lux had gotten engaged last year and Harry nearly had a real heart attack. I calmed him down and reminded him that Lux was 26. She was more than ready to have a family. Plus, when I was 26, I already had three children, Lux was more than old enough to make her own decisions...

Darcy drove herself, Des and J.D. to school while Farah and I went with Harry. I was working today, yes, actually working. I still write on my free time, but ever since Farah was two, I worked part-time and now full-time as a school teacher.

I have taught every age in grade school and now I'm into middle school, which isn't so bad if you ignore the awkward voice cracks and occasional blood stains on skirts. Middle school was an awkward time for everyone, so for me to go back there was sort of ridiculous, but I'm too old to even remember what those years were like... right?

"You look lovely today Mrs. Styles" one of the boys in my class commented with a warm smile. He always said this, nearly every morning. Part of the time it was because he hadn't done his homework and the other times it was because he was just that cheeky.

"Thank you, Mr. O'Connor" I smiled casually.

He nodded proudly.

"Now today I would like to introduce you all to one of my favorite books of all time" I announced slowly. 

The class blinked carelessly.

"The Outsiders" I declared.

A few hands shuffled and legs sung back and forth slowly from seats. Most of them couldn't care less, but I was determined to make them care by the end of the book. If they didn't, then I'd play the film and let Tommy Howell and Rob Lowe win them over. (Tommy Howell can win me over anyday... but don't tell Harry).

I read the first page and half the class shifted into tighter positions, clearly interested in the story line. By the end of the first chapter, the entire class was hooked.

***

Danny is having a party tonight. Well, Gemma is havin the party and Danny will be opening the champagne and the putting people's coats away.

It's been a while since we last had a family get together. They reminded me and Harry and the rest of us married couples that we were getting older and our children were outgrowing us.

Darcy patted her hair to the side. Harry parked the car. Des tried to convince Harry to let him park the car. J.D. carried Farah and stood beside me and Darcy.

"I haven't seen Uncle Danny since Darcy had braces" J.D. smiled. Darcy covered her mouth self-conciously.

"I miss him, too" I nodded.

Farah smiled up at J.D. H kissed her cheek.

Marco opened the door. I looked up. He grinned and his cotton candy blue eyes widened.

"Auntie Angie" he smiled.

I laughed. He had grown another inch in the past month. I stood slightly on my tipy-toes.

"When did you get so tall, Marky?" I shook my head in disbelief. He was only 13 for God's sake, why was he already about half a foot taller than me?