Chapter 31 - Swinging On a Star

Start from the beginning

"I'll be happy with either, but – I really hope it's a boy," Kitty said, and Helen was relieved to see her smile. "I want him to be just like Billy. What about you?"

"I'm hoping for a boy too. Then he and Douglas can run the mine together."

"That would be nice."

Helen kept her attention on her knitting instead of replying. Kitty didn't know how fervently she wished the baby growing inside her was a boy, and she didn't want to give anything away with her expression. She didn't feel comfortable keeping secrets from Kitty, but she had to respect Johnny's wishes about not telling Billy the details of the trust.

It wasn't easy keeping it to herself. Ever since that visit in the lawyer's office, she'd felt how important it was they had more children, or even just one, and each month that passed without it happening made her feel worse. She couldn't even share her concerns with Annie. But it had all worked out in the end, she thought with a sigh, letting the tension go. She and Johnny had a baby on the way, and they both could rest easy now.

"Does it hurt bad?" Kitty asked quietly. "You know, when the baby comes?"

"I suppose it does hurt some," Helen said slowly, thinking back to the night Douglas was born. "But it's only for a few hours, and after it's over, all you can think about is the beautiful baby you're holding. That makes it all worth it."

Kitty looked down as she covered her stomach with her hands. "If only Billy could be here," she repeated wistfully. "When I was with him in New York, we were so busy running around trying to get everything ready so we could get married, and after that, we were sight-seeing. He wanted us to see everything – the museums, the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, Coney Island."

Helen had heard this story before, but Kitty had told it as if it had been an adventure – her and Billy trying to get married in the big city. Now Kitty's voice was filled with sorrow, unshed tears evident in her eyes.

"I think he wanted to create memories for us – like this might be all we had. I think he was afraid we'd never see each other again."

A tear rolled down Kitty's cheek, and Helen set aside her knitting and scooted closer to her. "Don't think of it that way," she said, putting her arm around the smaller girl's shoulders.

"Will I see him again?" Kitty said, pulling a handkerchief out of her pocket so she could wipe her eyes.

"We have to be brave, like the soldiers. We have to be as brave as Billy."

"I'm trying," Kitty said with a sniff and straightened. "When I was with him, everything happened so fast, and then I had to say good bye. It wasn't enough time, and now that I'm home, it almost seems like it didn't happen at all." She looked at the gold ring on her left hand. "I miss him more than ever."

"You know what I think?" Helen said, rubbing her arm to console her. "This is the baby affecting your emotions. I cried at the drop of a hat when I was carrying Douglas."

Kitty looked up at her, wiping her eyes again. "You did?"

"Having a baby makes the melancholy worse. After your little one is born, you'll feel better, and you'll be so busy time will fly. Billy is going to come home, and when all three of you are together, you'll forget these sad times. That's what you have to look forward to."

"Kee?" Douglas had come up to them and was, holding out a stuffed bear for Kitty. "Kee?" he said.

"I think he's saying your name!" Helen said.

Kitty laughed and quickly wiped her eyes. "Is that for me?" she said, taking the bear from him.

He struggled to climb on her lap and she lifted him up. Once he was settled, he talked in a stream of gibberish, gesturing at the bear.