Girls can date younger guys

So there is this guy and he is amazing in so many ways and makes me so happy and just being around him makes me believe in myself, like I can do anything you know? The only thing is he's younger than me... I'm 18 and he is 16 which I know isnt that bad but I appreciate we're at different stages in our lives. The feelings are entirely mutual but after the summer when we had an emotional heart to heart (a lot of tears) the real world kicked back in and we didn't know what to do so things became awkward. Although I'm not ashamed of how I feel he says it won't work realistically and he's scared. But now he will barely talk to me because he says it hurts too much because he feels all these things but "isn't aloud to feel them" and it just makes me so sad because I've never been as happy with or respected as much by any guy ever and I don't want to lose him. He continually says I'll never lose him and that he misses me so much but we don't know how to just be friends again. Am I fighting a losing battle and should give up on him or follow my heart and fight for a friendship at least?

-inlovewithachild

____________

Dear inlovewithachild, 

omfg I'm in kinda the same situation O_O Well I like this guy who is 16 and he likes me back even though we only have talked for like a month O_O But anyywayyyy I can see where he's coming from because I'm kinda like him in a way.. I over think everything about age and yada yada but what makes this so different from having him be 18 and you being 16, you know? It can work out and you should tell him that there are couples out there having relationships 10 years or more apart. And I know it may not be good timing now if you believe it isn't but he shouldn't cut you off like that and you should fight for at least being friends for now if you can't go out with him or he can't go out with you. There are actually a lot of couple with this age difference, problem, whatever but they don't see this as a obstacle you know? They see this as another thing that shouldn't be questioned. Like my friend told me "Shit happens" And you got to roll with the punches sometimes. You both have to see it from a different perspective. You both have mutual feelings and they both seem strong. Trust me when it comes to love and you feel like you haven't before then please, react to those feelings please because you may never have the chance to feel that again if you don't. 

Alex