42.

I left Carrianne in the room to watch her terrible show about some annoying famous family. I was scared if I watched anymore I'd lose my brain cells, so I went out to find Garrett.

I walked around a bit before I noticed the hum coming from our car across the lot. I walked over and found him sitting in the car with his head leaned down against the steering wheel.

He jumped up as I knocked on the window. His face looked so sad, and his eyes were striking with the tears in them. He tried to hide his face from me, but I pulled the car door open and sat in his lap. Wrapping my arms around his neck. "I'm sorry." He whispered against my skin. "I'm just worried about everything."

I brushed my hand through his thick hair and he held me close. "I'm worried too, Garrett. But it's going to work out. We have to believe that."

He turned so that he could see my face. "Did you mom mention anything about my parents?"

I had omitted the part about his mom and Natasha when I told him and Carrianne everything. I don't want them to be even more concerned than they already are. I looked down to avoid his eyes, but I couldn't lie to him. "They have your mom, I think your dad is working with them. They also have Natasha and Charles."

Garrett brought a hand up to his face and rubbed his hand along the stubble that was starting to grown on his chin and around his mouth. "I swear, I hate that man." He said icily.

I didn't have to ask to know he was talking about his father. "I know what you mean." I said back gently. "They have my mom, too."

Garrett kissed me gently. "I know you understand. You've always understood." He nodded, his eyes distant. "I think I sensed it in you." He said quietly. "When I met you, I mean." He explained. "I knew there was something about you, pulling me in. It all made sense the night your dad tried to hurt you. I've watched my father do that to my mother for years and years, and I could never do anything about it." A tear ran down from his perfect eyes. "I'm her son, I should have been able to protect her, but I couldn't. Dalton is too strong, I never could do anything. I've always hated that I am supposedly blessed to have such a unique talent. If I had one worth having I could have done something to stop Dalton a long time ago."

I didn't know what to say to him to ease his hurt. I knew as well as anyone else that sometimes you can't say or do anything to help someone who is hurting, no matter how badly you want to. I just pulled him to me tighter and kissed his head over and over. "I am sorry, Garrett."

He sniffled. "My mom is a good person." He said firmly. "She's a fighter, and has never just taken it from him, but she isn't strong enough to stop him either. If anything happens to her I will kill him. No matter what I have to do." It was no threat, it was clearly a promise.

We stayed in the car for a long time, holding onto one another, until we saw a large red blazer pull into the lot. I checked the time and knew it must be the Shepherds.

If I didn't already think it was them, I would have known for sure the second they got out of the car. Potente genetics sure were strong. They were a very good looking, and well-dressed family. The first to get out were the grandparents. If you could really call them that. They only looked to be maybe in their thirties at the oldest. They both had deep brown hair that showed hints of red in the sun light. Next out of the car were the parents from the backseat. They too had dark hair, but the father's hair was closer to black than brown. Lastly was a young girl. To say she was beautiful would be an understatement. Scarlett stepped out of the car looking like a Victoria secret runway model. I couldn't help thinking that even Carrianne would take a hit to her self-esteem from being around this girl. She was tall, with long slender legs. She had a perfectly angular face, and big round brown eyes that made her look like an angelic doll. Her auburn hair fell around her face in big loose waves.