TWO*

Brooke (because she changed her name)

I slowly walked up the staircase behind John. We were going to the pack house and I didn't know what was going to happen. The piercing gaze of the onlookers was making my skin crawl. For years I had tried to make myself invisible to everyone, so being the centre of attention made me feel like I was an insect under a microscope. Not that I hadn't spent my fair share staring at a rogue when they were escorted into the pack house, but it was different when it was you being stared at.

John led me through the giant front doors of the pack house. It was huge, almost four floors high from what I could see. The brick walls looked over everything except the large trees. My former pack house was minuscule compared to this. I followed him through the halls and into a large office.

The walls were lined with book shelves and there was a large desk in the middle of the room with a large leather desk chair and two green padded chairs for others to sit in.

He gestured to for me to sit on one of the chairs and perched on the top of the surface. He folded his arms and stared at me with an open expression. "So, how about it?" he asked, referring to his earlier question.

Ivory Sun? Did I want to join the Ivory Sun pack? Could I? Would they be anything like my old pack and would I end up running away again? What if they don't like me and chase me out of the pack anyways?

I simply shrugged my shoulders and looked down at my feet. They were grimy and there were a few pine needles sticking from my toes nails. For most people that was the single most painful thing in the world. To me it was nothing. Partly because I was a werewolf but mainly because I usually had to deal with that same pain every day.

"Can you tell me what they did to you?" he asked gently. I knew that I didn't have to answer him. I knew that I could shake my head and he wouldn't ask again.

But I owed him that much. I knew I had to tell him what he was getting himself into by asking me to be a part of his pack.

I sighed and rubbed the back of my neck. "Ever since I turned four, everyone in my pack abused me, physically and mentally. Well, not everyone, only the people that were my age, a few years older and younger. To escape them I would stay around the elders and listen to them make small talk for hours on end. During a party that was, I don't even know how long ago it was; I decided that it would be the best chance for me to escape from their torture. And that conveniently was the night that I found my mate,"

"But you ran away anyways?"

I nodded and started to bite my bottom lip. I had been trying not to think about it, but I suddenly felt like I couldn't breathe, like there was a part of me missing. A part that kept me altogether. I knew that it was because I was far from mate. My wolf hadn't talked to me yet, so I assumed that she was giving me the silent treatment, she was stubborn like that. Once she didn't talk to me for an entire week because I refused to shift, not that I missed her all that much.

"Your mate didn't reject you, or anything?"

"No. I didn't give him a chance to. But I knew that he was going to. He was one of the main people that tormented me."

A low growl come from his mouth and John started to pace around the room. "Where were your parents when all this was happening?" he asked, trying to keep his voice calm but I caught the sharpness in his tone.

"They never knew about it. My brother was good at hiding it from them." When the words left my mouth I instantly regretted it. My brother? Why did I say my brother?

"Your brother?" he growled, stopping his pacing. "Your own flesh and blood would do that to you? What sort of messed up pack did you live in?"

Fear spiked my blood stream and I started to press myself further into the chair. Myself preservation mode was kicking in and I knew that if he didn't calm down I would up out of this pack house in twenty seconds flat.